View Poll Results: Best Rifle-M1, M1A, Or BM59?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Old Outdated M1

4 18.18%
  • Good OldOutdate M1A

6 27.27%
  • Our Fave-Good Old Outdated BM59

12 54.55%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would win? M14 /M1a or Bm59

Who would win? M14 /M1a or Bm59

I think know what the answer is going to be... But I'm looking more for the play by play... The "bullet points" as it were. I know there is a ton of knowledge in this forum!
    I've seen many points made in several threads, but nothing consolidated.
    So who would win and more importantly ... Why?

Thanks in advance!
    Q: What is best in life?
    A: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

Who would win WHAT? It's an open ended question.
    Jon

The US Open... Obviously! (Sarcasm)

Yes the question was open ended... I'm looking for thoughts about which is "over all" the superior rifle. (Which is also an open ended question). Opinions supported by thoughtful fact are what I'm looking for.
    Q: What is best in life?
    A: To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women!

I've never liked the M14/M1a, so the answer is easy, for me...
    [SIGPIC]

The M14 was designed by committee, and had the shortest standard-issue service life on any US rifle. It was an unprecedented failure, despite what the fanboys will tell you - grossly excessive failures in the field, usually associated with the front sight & flash hider; followed by failures of that stupid (and unnecessary) bolt roller.
    The BM59, on the other hand, was the result of low-budget ingenuity and excellent engineering.
    Both rifles were roughly designed to do the same thing, but the BM59 actually saw adoption as standard outside of it's native country - the M14 was only adopted where it was given as far as I know, while people paid for the BM59! The BM59 may still be available new as the Pindad SP-1, made in Indonesia of all places - under Beretta license!

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by Eli View Post
    The M14 was designed by committee, and had the shortest standard-issue service life on any US rifle.
    Eli
    I thought that honor went to the 1866 Allin Conversion Springfield Muskets (1866-1868), being replaced by the 45/70 Trapdoor Springfield...But point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    I thought that honor went to the 1866 Allin Conversion Springfield Muskets (1866-1868), being replaced by the 45/70 Trapdoor Springfield...But point taken.
    Didn't the 50/70 come before the 45/70?
    Jon

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
    Didn't the 50/70 come before the 45/70?
    Jon
    In the 1866 Allin conversion they relined the .58 cal barrels for the 50-70. The 1868 and 1870 Trapdoors had new made barrels also in 50-70 and also had a separate receiver unlike the conversions. In the 1873 model they went with the 45-70 cartridge.

Essentially the 50/70 cal Trapdoor was in production for 7 years but the Allin conversion was only done for 2 years.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I hate to say it,but I think the BM-59 is BM-Butt ugly.I hate their stocks,and gas systems(looks wise).I love the M1 greatly,but that gas system CAN be a weak link if you have to use non mil spec ammo and the 8 shot capacity can be a limiting factor,and the M1A does have it's problems.If All things were equal,and 3 different guys were shooting at each other from within 600 yards then I think the best shot would win and could be any until the M1 fired all 8 shots,then it's to the 59 and the 14...go out even farther and I'd say the guy with a 30-06 has the advantage.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    I hate to say it,but I think the BM-59 is BM-Butt ugly.I hate their stocks,and gas systems(looks wise).
    we go way back, so I'm gonna give you a chance to that back
    [SIGPIC]