View Poll Results: Best Rifle-M1, M1A, Or BM59?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Good Old Outdated M1

4 18.18%
  • Good OldOutdate M1A

6 27.27%
  • Our Fave-Good Old Outdated BM59

12 54.55%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Who would win? M14 /M1a or Bm59

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by prince humperdink View Post
    i hate to say it,but i think the bm-59 is bm-butt ugly.i hate their stocks,and gas systems(looks wise).i love the m1 greatly,but that gas system can be a weak link if you have to use non mil spec ammo and the 8 shot capacity can be a limiting factor,and the m1a does have it's problems.if all things were equal,and 3 different guys were shooting at each other from within 600 yards then i think the best shot would win and could be any until the m1 fired all 8 shots,then it's to the 59 and the 14...go out even farther and i'd say the guy with a 30-06 has the advantage.
    burn the witch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree with Humpi... That damn things are ugly. But For me looks are kinda down far on the list of criteria. I have no experience with the BM59 other than looking at it, so I can't say with any authority about how they function and reliability. However the M14 is a rifle that I have a bit of experience with. I know mine has been 10% reliable and I can accurately shoot it to 1000 yards. I know I can put my 1st shot on a man sized target at 1k, cold bore. Can a BM59 do that? I don't know. how often do you have to clean a BM59 to keep it functional? Parts breakage and replacement parts availability? Those are all things that would have to factor in before looks.
    !

I added a poll. Why not? It's free.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Founding Member
    Isn't THE M1A still in use in military?

Founding Member
    I must agree bm59 is fugly... Peace toolman

Quote Originally Posted by toolman View Post
    Isn't THE M1A still in use in military?
    No, but the M14 is
    [SIGPIC]

Founding Member

M-14 rifles Issued again.

Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    No, but the M14 is
    Yes, If you checked your local police dept, you just might find out they got the issued m-14 rifles for the value of $136.99 each from surplus..I personally saw one from our little hobekenly small town, with the auto fire selector intact...They might have 6 cops there..The city of Covington, tn. got at least 6 and maybe as many as TEN..7.62 auto rifles, The sad part is many of these fine rifles are being lost at the local police depts..Wonder where they will turn up next..Oh, they also picked up .38 revolvers and .45 1911 a1 pistols, that so many are lamenting lately..OG.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Guard View Post
    Yes, If you checked your local police dept, you just might find out they got the issued m-14 rifles for the value of $136.99 each from surplus..I personally saw one from our little hobekenly small town, with the auto fire selector intact...They might have 6 cops there..The city of Covington, tn. got at least 6 and maybe as many as TEN..7.62 auto rifles, The sad part is many of these fine rifles are being lost at the local police depts..Wonder where they will turn up next..Oh, they also picked up .38 revolvers and .45 1911 a1 pistols, that so many are lamenting lately..OG.
    The Feds have been recalling these guns for several years now. It seems Slick Willie sent far too many to Lithuania (and other countries) in the '90s to keep them from the DCM/CMP, and now there isn't enough to cover military needs. They're being forcibly replaced with M16s from what I understand.

Eli

Story goes Bob McNamara hated the m14 so much he had 700,000 of them chop sawed before his tenure as Secretary of Defense ended. Clinton chopped or gave away most of the remaining stock. Bula Defense in Ohio has now tooled up to build new recievers and parts for Dod contract, or so I've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by koreanwargrandson View Post
    Story goes Bob McNamara hated the m14 so much he had 700,000 of them chop sawed before his tenure as Secretary of Defense ended. Clinton chopped or gave away most of the remaining stock. Bula Defense in Ohio has now tooled up to build new recievers and parts for Dod contract, or so I've heard.
    The M14 really is a POS. They took everything good about the Garand and removed it, and made a failure-prone obsolete anti-aircraft gun out of a rather good battle rifle - while on an unlimited budget. Th Italians, on the other hand, turned a good battle rifle into a great heavy assault rifle on a shoestring budget!
    I've heard a lot of good things about Bula, they seem to have their stuff together and actually produce product. Of course, they've been around several decades - longer than I've been alive - so they probably know a thing or few about making quality product.
    http://www.bulaforge.com/ & http://buladefense.com/

Eli