Thread: BM59 Build questions

Junior Cadet

BM59 Build questions

Mr. Shufflin, your BM59 builds seem interesting. I'm not ready to dive into one right now, but it's damned tempting. I've often told folks that a BM59 chambered in .260 Remington would be about the best general issue long gun a modern military could ask for, so it is in the back of my mind to try to build one up like that one day, just as a proof of concept project. Also, one in .338 Federal or .358 Winchester might make an interesting game getter.

About your builds...

Would the receiver modifications prevent it from being used as a Garand? Say for some reason someone wanted to convert a BM59 back to the M1 feed system...

Would there be any bedding &/or stock work considerations different from what is typically done to a Garand? (like relieving the area about an inch forward form the heel to the rear receiver legs)

Can you modify a commercial Garand barrel (or a commercial blank) or would it have to be a BM59 barrel to start out with? (I do like those cut rifled barrels, & as mentioned above an alternate chambering might be interesting)

Can you modify a commercial Garand stock to BM59 specs? (I have a thing for laminates.)

Is there a way you could affix a stripper clip guide to the receiver?

Is scope mounting over the action possible?

Would an Ultimak forward rail work on a Bm59?

Know of anyone selling 5 round BM59 mags (or a way to convert one to 5 rounds) for places with mag limits while hunting?

Also I've noticed folks talking about the BM59 mags being much better than the M14 mags. Why is that? Are the M14 mags just designed &/or built that badly?

I do appreciate your time.

See the magazine difference yourself, the BM59 magazine is nearly the size of a BAR magazine - the M14 is junk by comparison!
    http://www.fulton-armory.com/%5Cfaqs...%5CMagComp.htm

Eli

Converting to mag fed requires considerable machining to the receiver. It cannot be converted back to en bloc fed

Nothing special needs to be done to a bm59 stock

Tim doesn't convert garand stocks to bm59, but I do

Tim does modify commercial .308 barrels to bm59 barrels
    [SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by seaninmich View Post
    Tim doesn't convert garand stocks to bm59, but I do
    Sean does FANTASTIC work converting Garand stocks to BM59 specifications - the one he did for me dropped in perfectly, and is indistinguishable in fit from a factory stock.

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by miketgtr71 View Post
    Mr. Shufflin, your BM59 builds seem interesting. I'm not ready to dive into one right now, but it's damned tempting. I've often told folks that a BM59 chambered in .260 Remington would be about the best general issue long gun a modern military could ask for, so it is in the back of my mind to try to build one up like that one day, just as a proof of concept project. Also, one in .338 Federal or .358 Winchester might make an interesting game getter.

About your builds...

Would the receiver modifications prevent it from being used as a Garand? Say for some reason someone wanted to convert a BM59 back to the M1 feed system...

Would there be any bedding &/or stock work considerations different from what is typically done to a Garand? (like relieving the area about an inch forward form the heel to the rear receiver legs)

Can you modify a commercial Garand barrel (or a commercial blank) or would it have to be a BM59 barrel to start out with? (I do like those cut rifled barrels, & as mentioned above an alternate chambering might be interesting)

Can you modify a commercial Garand stock to BM59 specs? (I have a thing for laminates.)

Is there a way you could affix a stripper clip guide to the receiver?

Is scope mounting over the action possible?

Would an Ultimak forward rail work on a Bm59?

Know of anyone selling 5 round BM59 mags (or a way to convert one to 5 rounds) for places with mag limits while hunting?

Also I've noticed folks talking about the BM59 mags being much better than the M14 mags. Why is that? Are the M14 mags just designed &/or built that badly?

I do appreciate your time.
    I see most of your questions were answered. On the mags, it's not that M14 mags are so terrible, it's that BM59 mags are so great. Ultimaks work on 59's if your barrel is standard contour behind the lower band.

Bro, It sounds like you need a BM14 conversion. It is everything you're asking for. Magazines are available in every capacity, including 5 round. There is a scope mount made for it. Plus it is badass.

garand_casm_banner.jpg

Mine
    DSCF1756_800x600.jpg
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau