Thread: converting a 5.45X39 to 22LR question

Patriot

converting a 5.45X39 to 22LR question

I have a old colt AR15 I use with a 22 conversion kit , its fun simple and cheap to shoot. I just thought about the AR15 platform 5.45X39 rifles I have that I never use . Can I use the same conversion kit and shoot 22LR with them? What do you guys think about 5.45 AR rifles. Thanks for any advice. Tom

I may be mistaken, but I believe that the bore diameter is too small if it's a true 5.45 barrel.

Eli

Cadet
    The chambers are different-- the 5,45 is a tad bit shorter to the shoulder. At Olympic Arms we cooked up a 5.45 chamber nozzle and tried it out, and it worked well enough to be put into production. The bores run .2208 to about .2213, so accuracy is quite a bit better than launching a .220 pill through a .224 pipe, better yet if the ammo is lively enough to "upset" in the bore a bit . The chambers are designed to fit the M261 clones we were making, do not believe they would be compatible with other brands, but hey, it's only metal, as my friend Big Fred keeps saying-- believe there are still chambers and rimfire adapters at Olympic-- call (800) 228-3471 and ask-- (The previous is not to be taken as a plug, but he did ask--)

Patriot
    Thanks for the info, I was frustrated with it as it was acting up. I took it to a show and was going to sell it cheap as a poor sometimes shooting weapon. One of the AR sales guys looked at it and asked if he could mess with it. He disassembled the rifle and reassembled and told me to try it out. He would not take any money jsut said he would buy if I decide to sell after shooting. I took it to the range and have run a few hundred rounds through it with no problems. I really like the rifle now . Thanks for your reply through.

Hey folks, I have a question and would welcome your kind suggestions. I wanted to find out what best scopes for M1A? And I also will appreciate it if there are other things I really don't know about this. I was thinking on getting myself an AR15. Any advise on that? If I don't get enough informations on best scopes for M1A, I will automatically purchase AR15. I appreciate your suggestions.