Thread: Short stroker

Junior Cadet

Short stroker

I had Shuff park and put a new Krieger GI contour barrel in 308 on my M1 many years back. Rifle always short stroked after a few rounds. I never really did much about it. well i decide to get it out and check everything. Turns out the gas port was only .0865. Min is .0965 max .1060. I drilled it out to .1000 and now it functions fine. No idea why Krieger only drilled it to .0865 on a as advertized 308 barrel.

Did you ever look at the BM59E barrels? They're all over the place. It seems as parts wore the Argentinians just opened up the gas port to accommodate. Since the M1 design does not incorporate a gas adjustment screw as many other rifles do, the FAL for one, your best bet is opening up the hole as you did and then use an adjustable gas plug.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    when i built this rifle Shuff just started messing around with his 1st 35 Whelen barrel and the Mini G was in its 1st magazine. He didnt have BM59 stuff. from what I read opening it up to .100 is ideal and wont need a adjustable gas plug. 16rds of 175g Federal Gold Match without a problem. ill have to try some other stuff.
    i built this rifle in 2010
    Last edited by JCunningham; 09-17-2016 at 03:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JCunningham View Post
    16rds of 175g Federal Gold Match without a problem. ill have to try some other stuff.
    i built this rifle in 2010
    175! I reserve that for bolt guns.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau