Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: M1 Garand Nigerian stock

Junior Cadet
    I didn't drill it yet but I have a pistol grip from a para I am going to copy the hole location and put a counter bore from the bottom of the grip so it is interchangeable with the plastic Italian plastic grip. I am going to mill a aluminum adaptor block to use the plastic grip on two of them.

Hate to say it, but these stocks are not a good deal and should not be purchased by anyone without considerable skills and tools
    [SIGPIC]

He raised his price from $175 to $195, too.

Thanks for the warnings, i think I'll avoid one that needs that much work.

I was looking for a woodworking project, so ordered one just before he raised the price. It arrived today. That was really quick shipping. I spent three hours working on it already tonight, and only quit because my wife insisted it was past my bedtime.

My impressions:
    1. Overall, well formed. Nothing that can't be fixed with a little woodworking skill. But assembling an AR, this is not.
    2. Much of the work on the stock involves squaring routed fillets with a chisel. If you have a quality, sharp wood chisel set, this is easy. A razor or Japanese-type thin kerf saw is also useful. The stock cutouts are routed, which means that inside corners are filleted, but the Garand's legs are sharp-edged.
    3. The biggest pucker factor was boring the buttstock holes. Obviously on a production line there are jigs to keep things straight; I had to do it freehand with the stock clamped to a bench. But I managed to go far enough for a cleaning kit without breaking through the side of the stock. Phew.
    4. The mortise for the grip tenon needed to be a bit deeper. The wood chisel made quick work of that. It's also off-center by ~1/16", but I don't think it'll affect anything in the end.
    5. There were a few outside corner fillets and chamfers that weren't routed, but comparing the Nigerian stock to an existing Garand stock made it real obvious where they should have been, and some sandpaper and the razor saw made quick work of that problem.
    6. The wood of my stock has a pretty open grain. It drank pure tung oil like a sponge. But it looks nice. Yes, I know, pics. I'll post when I'm through.
    7. The grip was some seriously hard, dense wood. It had some router scalloping, and needed a bit of sanding to smooth out. That needed some elbow grease. Maybe I'll knurl the sides eventually for a better grip, but not for now.

The one thing that is causing me pause is how to mount the grip to the stock. I assume there should be a very long bolt through the rear of the stock cutout down through the grip to a counterbored hole at the bottom. Is that correct? Keeping the bit aligned through the grip will be tough, getting the angle correct through the stock and the grip tougher still. One mistake and either one is ruined. Suggestions, anyone? Does anyone have some detail pictures of an installed grip?
    Last edited by Shug; 09-30-2016 at 12:01 AM.

eBay price back down to $175 today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    He raised his price from $175 to $195, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    eBay price back down to $175 today.
    Still too high. Based on what i got, anything over $100 is too much
    [SIGPIC]

You can get Nigerian stocks at [email protected], $385, + shipping.

The reason why I want a garand stock with a pistol grip is because I can't rotate my arms to hold a regular stock and I live in California so I can't put a pistol grip stock on my carbine which is what I really want to do. I cannot afford to buy an ar15 or another gun right now so this is the best solution I can find. Do you know where I could buy a Nigerian stock? Seems more traditional than a doomsday looking garand.

Patriot
    I know it's more expensive in Cali, but I'd bet the going price on a complete, real deal, Nigerian stock might just be less than the cost of an AR15. Saying that,,,,,I'd opt for the Nigerian stock set.