Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hi, what is with the Winchester hate?

It seems like low odor mineral spirits is the solvent of choice so I paid $15 for a gallon. That hurt a bit. I would like it a lot more if I could get a safe high powered solvent for less than $6/gallon.

Maybe I'll start a new Thanksgiving tradition of degreasing surplus rifles.

Parts are degreased.

I tried to disassemble everything but a few pieces would not come undone.

The stock metal seems to have its sling swivel screw staked so it can't come out.

I still need to clean out the bores of the gas cylinder but it and all the other small parts are taking a bath in mineral spirits now.

I'll remove them and oil them to prevent rust in a few hours.

Most of the pieces have good original finish except for the receiver but being a Danish kit made up of Springfield, Breda, Beretta, VAR, Winchester and unmarked, things don't really match.

There is only one thing I'm not sure about, is there any way to remove the front handguard stock metal for refinishing?

Beside the staked sling swivel screw, I didn't find much hidden under the grease and grime.

If I can find my digital angle finder, I'll hand tighten my barrel to see how far it is from timing. With everything cleaned out I should get a very accurate reading.

All of the mineral spirits have been removed and I reassembled everything beside the stock metal.

I didn't lose anything. I count that as an accomplishment because there are a lot of little parts when you break it down as far as it will go.

Remembering how everything goes together was another accomplishment.

Now I just have to get a free night at the shop to knock out a barrel vise, receiver wrench and do the NM gas cylinder mod.

Personally, I would shoot the rifle first and check the accuracy before making any NM modifications.
    That way you have a starting point and would know if your changes made the accuracy better or worse.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Unfortunately the machine shop I have access to is 50 miles away and not exactly gun friendly so when I say get it done in one night, I mean the middle of the night.

The NM gas cylinder mod is the only mod I'll make before I build it up and it's not that big of a change, it just opens up the rear ring and clearances the rear lug so it free floats. It's not supposed to be a press fit so it's not much of a change. But the gas cylinder is stainless so the finish on it is not park, any mods that have to be done need to happen before I get everything refinished.

I don't want to do another 100 mile round trip and stay up all night just for that.

One reason for building this rifle is that my dad served in the military and the only real interest he shows in guns or shooting is the M14 he used in basic training.

He is retired now and I think he could use a new hobby. If it is something we can do together, even better.

I forget who said it but "only accurate rifles are interesting", I want this Garand to be as interesting as possible.

One other thing about that is that my father has pretty poor vision, one eye sees up close, one sees distance and he is having trouble focusing up close. I think that eye strain has made close focus more difficult for me also.

I'm thinking of getting a MISO sight and a hooded NM style aperture.

If anyone has experience with these, let me know. I want to do a 1/2 MOA sight, I'm not quite sure about everything I need to order and then there is the question of front post thickness and aperture diameter.

Most of the shooting will be on sunny days from a shaded bench, 100 yards but possibly out to 1,000 yards on occasion.

Flyer, the peep sight on the Garand is a natural vision enhancer. Like any other rifle tell Dad to just look through the rear aperture and focus on the front sight blade. That'll be sharp, and the target will be a little fuzzy. He'll be fine.
    You don't need a 1/2 moa sight on a Garand as it exceeds the accuracy of both the rifle and the shooter in 99% of all cases.
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 11-26-2016 at 09:42 AM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I am the 1%.

The engraver I found is still not answering the phone, no answering machine, no outgoing message and no website. I kind of understand because it's an old school hand engraver, I expect he has a VCR flashing 12:00 at home. It still kind of sucks because I have to drive over there to see if there is a vacation sign posted.

Other than that, I'm planning my machine shop trip which might result in an assembled Garand.

I just ordered a new in wrap USGI M1950 parachute case for the Garand, evidently made in the year 2000.

It's a bit more padded than the WWII style canvas bags but still USGI so fitting for a nice "surplus" Garand.

No plastic case or Chinese nylon for my Garand.

It was $60 shipped so not cheap but a fleece lined IMA reproduction of a WWII style bag is probably $40 shipped and maybe not as nice as the parachute bag. It just seems right.