Thread: IAI Carbines?

IAI Carbines?

Anybody ever mess with an IAI, which weer the predecessors to the newer Auto-Ordnance Carbines?
    They were made locally to me, and guns like this are why I ask: http://www.armslist.com/posts/438062...carbine-rifle#
    4380622_08_iai_22_ml_caliber_m1_carbine_r_640.jpg 4380622_02_iai_22_ml_caliber_m1_carbine_r_640.jpg
    For Sale: IAI 22 spitfire M1 Carbine Rifle $ 399

Up for sale is a very nice and well taken care of IAI (Made in Houston) 22 spitfire M1 Carbine Rifle. It has some light scratches from minimal use and still in geat condition.
    It'll need a new barrel - over $1/round is crazy for 5.7 Spitfire - but are they otherwise OK guns?

Eli

I have one. The left bolt lug does not contact the receiver. Do not know if it was on purpose or a defective receiver. I chose to replace the receiver. 5.7 Spitefire is a great little round. Very easy to reload for.

Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    I have one. The left bolt lug does not contact the receiver. Do not know if it was on purpose or a defective receiver. I chose to replace the receiver. 5.7 Spitefire is a great little round. Very easy to reload for.
    Are the parts mostly USGI? I'm new to carbines, if this thing is a dud it isn't worth it even if CHEAP.

Eli

Mine when I purchased it used had a GI bolt, slide, rear sight and trigger group, the rest was commercial.

Junior Cadet
    IAI had a lot of quality control problems off and on. Some of their carbines were junk at best while others were excellent. It seemed it was luck of the draw. How those same problems have been inherited by AO and in turn by the New Inland. Cast parts and poor heat treatments are at the top of their problems.