Thread: M 1 Carbine case ejection issue

Junior Cadet

M 1 Carbine case ejection issue

I just shot for the first time my IBM carbine. I have a James River Carbine and the casings eject at around 2 o' clock. The IBM ejects them over my head and they land about 3 feet behind me. I fired American Eagle, Remington and Critical defense ammo and all ejected the same. Can anyone guide me as to what the heck is happening and provide a solution?
    Much appreciated.

Is the op rod an early one with the straight joint at the handle or a later one with the bevel? My IP has the early type and it is not uncommon for the ejected cases to fly directly backwards, and shooting from the wrong shoulder, sometimes they hit my old noggin square in the forehead.
    Jon

Junior Cadet
    Yes it is one of the early versions. I do shoot from the wrong (left shoulder) side. Now I guess I have to place my fathers WW2 pot helmet on over my glasses, shooting glasses and hearing protection piece. Getting dressed for my senior prom took less time. Thank you for the info you provided.

Just wear a ball cap and you'll be fine.
    Jon

Junior Cadet
    It's not the slide but the ejector in the bolt. There were three different ejectors made during WW2. The third one become the standard for all rebuilding and later commercial carbines. Of course being a lefty doesn't help but my granddaughter is a lefty and when she shoots one of my carbines the brass is kicked out no more then 90 degrees to her right. The carbines she does shoot all have type 3 ejectors in them. There is an attachment made for use on a carbine being fired by a left handed person. It makes sure to deflect the fired case away from the shooter. These are not USGI but were developed by the Dutch and they work well.

The slide does have an affect on the ejection. That's why they started making them with the cut next to the hump.
    Jon

Junior Cadet
    Thanks guys for your insight. The carbine operates fine other than the what I consider the unusual direction that the spent cases are ejected. My carbine is a nice example of an early IBM model. I probably wont shoot it that much as I do have a new James River model to shoot when I want. I will just leave well enough alone and enjoy it on occasion. Again thank you for your responses.