Thread: AR15 optics question

AR15 optics question

Hello!

I have a little problem with choosing a scope for my rifle. After all, it's not like it's something you can just buy and enjoy. Well, you can, technically, but that wouldn't be the wisest move, now would it? I've googled for the best rifle scope for AR15, but most reviews don't have what I want. The first one, for instance, suggests a really cheapo Eotech. Now, I like inexpensive things as much as anyone, but price is not all. I'd rather but something better, but still not too pricey, mind you. Amazon didn't help, either. And then I just thought, why don't I ask someone who knows.

So here I am. Can anyone please a good scope?

Cadet
    A few quick questions, to help narrow the field-- what will you be shooting at, and at what ranges? Also, and more importantly, what is your budget? You will generally get what you pay for with optics-- I have had good success with the little Vortex 1-6x, StrikeEagle (? I think) on .308 platforms as well as ARs, and they can be found for under four hundred-- good clear glass, well constructed (but not warproof, that will cost about another grand).

To make useful recommendations, we'd need a lot more info on intended use and your budget. Red dots are great for CQB, but are useless for 600 yard shooting. If you want a long range scope suitable for use with night vision devices and that you can also use to drive tent spikes, a Nightforce NXS or A.T.A.C.R. is perfect, but will cost you upwards of $2k.

With the ballistically diverse crown on this board, there's almost certainly someone who has used a scope that would fit your needs. But you need to let us know what the requirements are.

Founding Member
    I have different optics for different purposed rifles (not just AR15's). I don't think there is a "perfect" optic that covers all the bases. I also like the option of using QD mounts so that I can swap things around if needed.