Thread: New guy needs advice..

Junior Cadet

New guy needs advice..

Hello, I'm new to the forum and need advice on a Mini-G. I'm a long time member of the Fal Files and have built many Fal's. I'm looking to get a Mini-G in 308. I have lots of Nato mil surplus ammo and some ZQI. I know nothing about Garands so I will probably just buy one outright from Shuffs. Are their 308 versions chambered to fire nato spec ammo or commercial 308 or both? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I can only say that I use .308 barrels and chamber them to use both .308 and 7.62 NATO. I can also say that I currently have only a BM59 for sale, no Mini-G's.

Az Dave, welcome to the forum. I have a BM59 and a BM14, both built by Tim Shufflin. I try to use 7.62 whenever I can in both of them as I feel that autoloaders were designed for the more rugged cartridge, but I have fired commercial without a hiccup. So, if you have a shitload of Radway Green just rock on. If you want the rifle finished in baby poo I'm sure Tim will accommodate. I'm sure you can pick up a donor rifle or at least all of the donor parts right here on the forum.

I miss my Argy FAL. Never should have sold it
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    I gotta tell ya, that clown picture is coming off a little creepy. Only a die hard FAL owner would understand the baby poo reference..ha ha. I may do the Mini-G in stages if I can pick up a good donor Garand. The trouble is I don't know anything about them. I'm starting the learning process now. But that's the way it was when I got into FAL's. There's a Springfield tanker in 308 built by Fulton Arms for sale with a bunch of clips and a repro sling built with a new Criterion (sp) barrel I can pick up for $1300 shipped. Does that sound like a decent deal? If you ever want another FAL, let me know and I'll find you a deal. I have an STG-58 I might sell to finance the Mini-G project.

Quote Originally Posted by az dave View Post
    If you ever want another FAL, let me know and I'll find you a deal.
    HAHA! you'll have to find him a deal on a new home in a free state first. He got rid of the FAL because he lives in the commie hell-hole of New York City
    [SIGPIC]

You'd be surprised how many of us are on the 'files!

Eli

Quote Originally Posted by az dave View Post
    Hello, I'm new to the forum and need advice on a Mini-G. I'm a long time member of the Fal Files and have built many Fal's. I'm looking to get a Mini-G in 308. I have lots of Nato mil surplus ammo and some ZQI. I know nothing about Garands so I will probably just buy one outright from Shuffs. Are their 308 versions chambered to fire nato spec ammo or commercial 308 or both? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

I have 2 builds from Shuff and both rifles will close on Clymer .308 no go gauge. I would stick to 7.62 NATO for any range trips.