Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: broken receiver...

Junior Cadet

broken receiver...

hello all,

first, this is a great website and i'm proud to be a part of it.

the other day i was out shooting my inland carbine and noticed that the mag well seemed kind of loose and the cartridges weren't feeding smoothly into the chamber. i took a closer look and saw that the lug on the bottom of the receiver where the pin goes in to hold the trigger housing group was broke clean off.

bugger!

not only that, but it cracked the stock directly in front of the area where the lug butts up against the stock. very expensive day at the range!

i'm new to the carbine world and have to ask if this is a common problem.
    i was shooting my own reloads and absolutely trust my work. everything i do is double checked. i was using 14.8 grs. of hodgdon H 110 powder (close to, but not the max load) with hornady 110 gr fmj bullets.
    all i can think of is metal fatigue. everything on the rifle was properly tightened down.

has anyone ever heard of this happening?

thanks.

Welcome Chaindrive. As far as I know you can't double-charge a carbine case so that's out. I'm at a loss on this one. Stu
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Nope never heard of it being a issue before
    Welcome to the forum
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I agree with the others about double charge,as I use 14 grns of powder and the bullet darn near,or does sit on it..btw,Welcome to the forum!
    Ryan
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Chaindrive, I've been researching broken carbine receivers ever since you told me about this one. I found this just now http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1009135

It seems that these things can develop stress cracks. You have a photo of where yours broke? I'd like to see how jagged, or smooth, the block broke.

Junior Cadet
    yeah, i think we can eliminate the double charge possibility.

i use an RCBS chargemaster and then use a Redding balance beam to verify each charge. if it's a little above or below i trickle in the appropriate amount or remove the overage. then i look down at each case with a flash light to check the level while they are still in the loading tray before seating the bullet. slow but sure.

anyway, looks like i'm down for a while. damn shame. of all my long guns, i enjoy shooting that little carbine the most...

Junior Cadet
    tim,

tell you what, i'll just send you the broken piece so that you can get an idea of the way it broke.

when i can get a replacement receiver i'll send you the rest of the rifle so that you work your magic on it.

he's done work for me before folks, nobody touches my weapons but him...

Quote Originally Posted by chaindrive View Post
    tim,

tell you what, i'll just send you the broken piece so that you can get an idea of the way it broke.

when i can get a replacement receiver i'll send you the rest of the rifle so that you work your magic on it.

he's done work for me before folks, nobody touches my weapons but him...

Chain, I'd really really love to see a photo even if you email it to me.

Patriot
    Very unusual! The first time I saw one do that was when some mentally challenged alleged gunsmith took one out and ran a couple of mags full of proof loads. Also when re barreling one some idiots would hammer the lug to "tighten" it for the trigger housing.You might have noticed peen marks where this was done.As far as your loads are concerned I think you were well into the safe envelope of operation. Oh and welcome to our forum you should find it interesting and informative. Lots of good knowledge hiding in the bushs here!
    Mix

That's a great point mixmaster! Are there any peen marks on the block? I know the history of this receiver and it could have been "tightened up" for the trigger housing. Never thought of that one mixmaster.