Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: broken receiver...

Junior Cadet
    guys,

there aren't any peen marks on the block, it looks clean. likewise the ears on the trigger housing where the pin goes through. i don't think anyone ever took a hammer it to "improve" the fit.

tim - be on the lookout for a picture via e-mail.
    my computer fu is weak. the best i can do is a cell phone pic.

Junior Cadet
    oops - dupe post, ignore
    Last edited by chaindrive; 06-29-2011 at 09:42 PM.

Patriot
    There is not enough recoil transmitted through that block, so my thoughts are than something happened to cause it to snap. if you look at a carbine you will see the receiver transmits the recoil impulse through the lug on the back where it hooks into the stock and of course the barrel band in the front The lug that broke is only to hold the trigger housing in place. I would mike the top of that lug and just above the break. When I said peen I did not explain that one good smack with a hammer on the top of the lug sometimes would be enough. Some times the lug was used to lock the receiver in a vise while the barrel wrench was used to remove the barrel. All of this is not really helping you restore it.Sorry I could not be more help.
    Mix

Junior Cadet
    With a carbine it's the barrel that gets locked in a vice and the receiver gets the wrench to take off or put on a barrel. As to the lug coming off. It's a rare thing but it has happened in the past. But the good news is that most of the time it can be welded back on.

Patriot
    Tuna
    Not all of us are as mentally adept as we would like to think. Bubba is loose and well. I have seen more than one individual use the receiver as the stationary part in re barreling. And a wrench on the barrel flats. Yes the part may be welded But I advise the barrel be removed and in place of it a heat sink to keep the receiver from getting to hot. You can use an old barrel stub for this purpose.or even the entire barrel. The heat sink does not have to be tightened up with a wrench just firm hand tight will do.I have only seen two lugs break off and both could be traced to abuse. Not common at all!!!
    Mix
    Last edited by mixmaster; 07-01-2011 at 07:43 PM.

Every vise designed for the carbine, I know of, has the barrel stationary and the receiver in an action wrench to be turned. I guess someone could vise up a receiver and hook big #$$ wrench on the barrel but that would be a VERY bubba way to go.

Patriot
    Tim you are talking common sense. Yet I am sure you have seen Bubba at work or the results of it. You and I would use tools designed for the receiver,but in Bubbas case a bench vise works for him and the big wrench! I have seen them twist the barrel where the gas port no longer lines up as the gas piston was the lug used to lock the wrench on! I just shake my head and refuse to correct their efforts. I know it is hard to believe but one time a Mauser was brought to me because the primers were being punctured. When owner was questioned he advised me he had sharpened the firing pin to a point to make the rifle "shoot harder" what ever that meant.I now do work only for close friends them you can cuss out! Common sense is not that common.
    Mix
    Last edited by mixmaster; 07-02-2011 at 01:25 AM.

Junior Cadet
    thanks for the replies. there's a lot good information in this thread.

i talked to a local guy on the phone who's a precision welder and gun owner who thinks he might be able weld the lug back on. he says there is a special rod used for welding on forged receivers.
    i'll take it to him tuesday and let him look it over. i will ask him if the barrel should be removed before doing any work. i hope there is way around it after the work Tim did on installing the new criterion barrel and then re-parking the whole rifle.

anyway, i'll let you know how it turns out and y'all have a great 4th.

Junior Cadet
    time to update.

picked up the receiver from the welder the other day.
    he did a fine, professional job. very neatly done and squared up, every thing fits and went back together without a hitch.

took it out yesterday and put it through the paces. worked fine, no hiccups.

back in the game.
    total cost: $25.00

I changed many rear sights with a brass hammer and punch.I broke ONE right there.
    I cut it in half for paper weights.

I said DANG.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.