Thread: AR-15 Build Assembly ?

AR-15 Build Assembly ?

For those who have built AR's before.

Does the Mobile 1 synthetic crease that works on the M1 Garand work for AR's? I plan on using it for the barrel nut.

Thank you

I haven't used any grease.

No. Believe it or not you have to buy that AeroShell 33MS. It is a little grease and a ton of molybdenum. It prevents galling and eliminates the contact of dissimilar metals. #92 on the list. When you install the barrel you have to tighten and loosen the barrel nut quite a few times which would wear through the anodizing without the Aero grease. And you don't need a torque wrench. And you don't need much grease. Just a couple of dabs.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I'll spray a little CLP on the threads and wipe off with my fingers just to get enough on there to lube it a bit.
    !

That was the information I was looking for. Thank you

Founding Member
    I bought a tub of moly grease (no graphite) from the auto parts store. It was listed as an alternative to the AeroShell just not aviation grade.

Cadet
    I used whatever wheel bearing grease was laying around until I got edjimicated, took a fondness for the Weapon Shield grease in the syringe-- just enough exactly where you want it, it smells better than automotive lubes, much easier to clean up and very good high temp performance-- that I get it cheap is icing on the cake. But pretty much any decent grease will work. Or (as has been pointed out) none at all.