Thread: Something different

Something different

Here is an M95M Steyr that I completed a few years ago. I bought the rifle from a guy on GunBoards.com. Except for the "sporterized" stock, all the numbers
    match on this rifle, including the bolt and bolt head. I first read about this rifle in the book about Serbian Mausers. An interesting conversion that was done to a bunch of M95 rifles prior to WWII. This feeds a little rough, but it shoots pretty well, with recoil being robust.

Replacing the stock was a challenge. Most were fitted from M95 long rifle stocks. I thought I would have to do that and purchased a long stock in anticipation. After a little back and forth with Numrich, who listed the correct stock in their catalog, but had sent me the incorrect stock, I spoke with them on the phone and described what I needed that they had listed. I received a correctly inletted stock for this rifle, which I proceeded to refinish with just light sanding, steel wool and Birchwood Casey walnut stain and true oil. I used the top wood from a Yugo Mauser and the front handguard was cut down from a Steyr M95. The two pieces join together under the lower band. Came out pretty nice.

Oh.....the Luger in the photo is a Erfurt 1912 with unit markings.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Patriot
    Thanks for sharing, looks like you did a nice job bringing it back . What is the caliber on this one? I have a M95 Budapest, its a carbine and pretty light weight. I have read that some have been using 762x54 in them . My mosin m44 is a dragon breather with with a big kick so no way would I try 762 in this one LOL. I doubt I will chase the ammo for . Do you have the bayo for it they are marked FG over GY and look like any other mauser bayo. I will try to get a few pics up later .

I guess I didn't mention that. Original cartridge for the M95 was 8x50R Austrian Mannlicher. No one, except for one custom ammo maker I have found, makes it, but it can be hand loaded from available components. These conversions were in 8 mm Mauser. The en-bloc clip was permanently fixed inside the magazine; the ejection port at the bottom of the magazine was closed; the barrel was replaced with a VZ-24 barrel; a clipper strip notch was machined into the top of the receiver as well as a relief for the thumb of the hand pushing the cartridges into the magazine. the extractor was changed, too.The Don't think these were meant to be a front line rifle, but most certainly for rear echelon, support and police units. Oh.....I have heard about people firing 7.62x54R in the M95, with some stating that it was done during WWI. I have also seen Youtube videos of people doing, However, don't expect to hit anything beyond 50 yards with it. I think it would be frustrating and not much fun. An M95 that has already been converted to 8x56R would be much better. I have a carbine length Styer in that caliber. I do not find the recoil to be that bad.

Patriot
    Thanks for the info, I think I am going to pass my M95 rifle on . I picked up 7.5x55, 7.5x54 , 5.7x28, and 6.5x50 ammo a few weeks ago.

WHat is the caliber of your M95 Budapest? Is there a large "S" on top of the chamber area? Many of these have been converted to 8x56R, which is currently available from Privi Partisan and isn;t too terribly expensive. It's boxer primed and reloadable. If in that caliber, you might want to keep it because straight pull rifles are not seen often and this one is interesting.

The bayonet for the M95M is slightly different than the M95. I haven;t gone looking for one. I suppose would be nice to have, but bayonets just kinda sit in the safe and don;t do anything. I have bayonets for other rifles.

Patriot
    Thanks for the info Jason, maybe I will try it out. I fired my straight pull swiss rifles for the first time and loved them. If I find another bayo in my boxes I will give you a shout.
    Here are a few pics .
    http://imgur.com/a/9Y2sZ

I have a K31 Swiss. Bought it off Gunbroker about 3-4 years ago. It came with a bayonet, a set og RCBS loading dies, a couple of hundred rounds of surplus Swiss ammo and some cast bullet hand loads, which I am hesitant to fire. I've not fired the rifle yet. AM looking to get an 1882 Swiss Ordnance revolver, too.

Nice rifle.

Here is mine. I bought it in Yuma, Az in 2013. Think I paid $165. It is in 8x56R. It kinda shoots all over, but would have no problem taking down an enemy.100_2668.jpg100_2667.jpg