Thread: Has anyone replaced the rubber buttpad on a BM59 Paratrooper/Alpine folding stock?

Junior Cadet

Has anyone replaced the rubber buttpad on a BM59 Paratrooper/Alpine folding stock?

Hello all, I have a near mint BM59 para folding stock that is new except it has a messed up rubber piece on the butt. It looks like it (or the housing for the rubber butt) is pinned into the top tube of the folding stock and the new piece I have (got it new from Standard Parts) looks like it will need to be drilled in order pin and replace it. Before I jumped into the project I wanted to see if anyone had done this before. I would hate to get western with it and tear something up. I have searched for schematics and "how to" but my searches turn up nothing on the paratrooper stock. I'm a long time member of the falfiles and akfiles-I was directed here for some advice.

Thanks in advance!
    Last edited by cowbilly; 06-03-2017 at 10:20 PM.

Junior Cadet
    Well, I figured it out. It is a pita but it is done. If anyone needs any insight to this process, post here or PM me-be glad to share my experiences with you and help in any way possible.

Please share!
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    You will have to drill the pin out. It is riveted on either side, grinding off one side and trying to push it through did not work for me (some have said it is welded too but I did not see any welds). I just drilled all the way through. Once everything is cleaned out you can knock the rubber stock piece out with a mallet. Be sure the upper tube of the folding stock is free of debris. I used the same rubber mallet to hammer the new butt into the folding stock tube and reattached the the metal folding buttplate and lower folding stock arm to help center/align the rubber bumper piece. The new rubber piece can be rotated inside the upper folding stock tube to align it by using a crescent wrench (it is tightly fitted inside the tube, a lot of friction).I used the holes in the upper tube/folding stock arm to align and drill through the rubber butt's metal portion and pinned it. I had a pin that fit correctly but Quality Parts LLC said an M1 Garand latch clip pin (long one on the side of receiver) can be used as a replacement (you will have to cut it down to size). A drill press is helpful and go slow so you don't tear up a near impossible part to replace.

Thanks for the info - I have a folder too and it sounds like it is in the same condition as yours (I also got a new pad from Standard Parts). Will probably wait to replace until it is more worn.

Yes, I have done it , just as you said grind one side od the rivet head off punch out the piece with a punch.
    Clean the hole ,line it up and tap the pin back in and place a small tack weld on it with a mig welder,parkerized it and you are done.
    M1CC #328

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebaker1129 View Post
    Yes, I have done it , just as you said grind one side od the rivet head off punch out the piece with a punch.
    Clean the hole ,line it up and tap the pin back in and place a small tack weld on it with a mig welder,parkerized it and you are done.
    I did not weld, if mine was originally welded I could not tell. I just pinned and riveted/smashed the ends then refinished the pin heads-looks just like it did before. Nothing like learning on the on the fly.

I'd love to see this as a sticky with photos.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10