Thread: Longer bottom butt plate screw?

Junior Cadet

Longer bottom butt plate screw?

A friend needs to add a rubber rifle pad to the butt of his Garand for LOP for his long arms. This requires a longer bottom screw.

Is there such a thing available commercially or will he need to fab one?

Thanks,
    Jim

I'm guessing it's a fab.

The Garand grenade launching buttplate is a slip on and as a bonus it has shims to adjust the length of pull and it looks good.

932590.JPG

The John Masen supposedly uses existing hardware.

939577.jpg
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 07-14-2017 at 10:47 AM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    The Masen buttpad does use existing hardware & adds an inch to the Length of Pull, but it's more like a hard plastic than rubber. You'll lose the storage holes though unless you wish to remove the pad every time you want to access what you keep in there.
    The grenade launching buttpad is an option. Also Pachmayr decelerator slip on recoil pads (large size) work & will add an inch or so to the Length Of Pull. I've heard Limbsaver slip on pads work but have no experience with them & I'm not sure which size fits a Garand.

If he just wants to install a pad (other than the aforementioned options) he'll have to fabricate a screw for it.