Thread: Question on some quirks.

Junior Cadet

Question on some quirks.

I have been shooting the Mini G a bit , it's been tuned and running well but something I noticed and was looking for some advice on.
    Upon receiving the rifle , I installed a new heavy duty clip latch as advised.
    When I was tuning the gas plug , I noticed that if I loaded an 8 rd clip with only 1 rd , the clip would not latch in place unless I held it down and then pulled slightly back on the op-rod at the same time.
    It loads a full 8 rd clip fine ,and it will latch in place and work fine if the clip is loaded with 2 , 3, 4, 5, 6 or 7rds. Just will not do it with only one rd loaded.
    This was checked with a few different G.I and commercial clips. Same results with all.
    No big deal as I only see myself loading one rd when changing loads and that will not happen often.
    But then I got a few different new commercial 5rd clips.
    And none of them will latch into place "even fully loaded" unless I hold them down while I pull back slightly on the op-rod at the same time.
    What would be the common cause and solution for this?
    This doesn't present a huge problem either but thought I'd look into it a little.
    Other than that , it is working great. I am getting a first shot flyer common with some semi-auto's but that is what it is.
    Thanks.

1. I'll assume you mean a heavy duty clip latch spring and not a clip latch. I only say this because someone who may not be familiar with these terms might read this. We don't want to confuse some poor SOB.
    2. I believe this is also the case with a standard Garand is it not? Frankly, I can't remember. Here's a thread I saw on the CMP which is similar and was my first read of the morning, talk about coincidence http://forums.thecmp.org/showthread....68#post1619968
    3. Are some of the things in that thread similar?

Junior Cadet
    Yes I did mean a heavy duty clip latch spring.
    I read that thread and it does not seem I am having the same problem but to be honest it was a little hard to tell as I was a little confused by the first post in that other thread.
    But I didn't see anything about single loading there.

Junior Cadet
    Yes I did mean "heavy duty latch spring"
    And the problem in the thread you posted isn't anything like I was talking about although thanks to some google research I seem to be on my way to having my answers.
    I was also wondering if you ever removed the gas cylinder from a MiniG.
    And if so , how?
    Reason being I still have some hand-guard fitting to be done if you recall and the gas cylinder isn't budging even with a heavy hammer and beating on the bayonet lug.
    I got some Kroil oil down around the barrel slots and was hoping I would not have to resort to heat.
    But that sucker is on tight

RP'sMiniG are you the gentleman posting on Calguns? I have been searching for you to figure out where my communication failed and where I may have been rude to you. I just found this post and frankly this is all I can find. My apologies for not being Johny on the spot in answering you, I just had a Knee surgery this forum has not been my priority as of late. I still cannot find any emails from you or phone messages, if you are the same guy. Give me a call some time.