Thread: To Muzzle Break or Not to Muzzle Break?

To Muzzle Break or Not to Muzzle Break?

How much do you experience a difference in having the muzzle break vs not having it?

I'm not really talking about recoil, things such as balance of the rifle, how quickly you can get back on target, length of rifle (after removing 6" from barrel and then putting 2-3 inches back on it), etc.

I had a muzzle brake on a 308 Mini-G and ended up selling the brake. It did reduce recoil slightly, but not enough to prevent my shoulder from hurting after a few hours at the range. While the Mini-G itself brought lots of positive comments, the brake caused anyone at adjoining benches to complain about being stuck in a hair dryer. It sends a lot of gas sideways, enough to be uncomfortable to bystanders. I have enough practice with the rifle that the brake made no real difference in target re-acquisition.

I can tell you that the guy next to you at the range is not going to like you very much.
    Jon

From a hunting standpoint, the brake rules. It greatly reduces muzzle flip. All other comments are dead on.

Quote Originally Posted by musketjon View Post
    I can tell you that the guy next to you at the range is not going to like you very much.
    Jon
    Truth! They will hate you.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Just curious if anyone has compared the performance of the BM59E brake with the Smith Enterprises Garand brake?

Quote Originally Posted by blfuller View Post
    Just curious if anyone has compared the performance of the BM59E brake with the Smith Enterprises Garand brake?
    1. I can find no felt difference
    2. I will not deal in any of the smith products since they sued their own customers for talking about not getting the products that they had ordered.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    1. I can find no felt difference
    2. I will not deal in any of the smith products since they sued their own customers for talking about not getting the products that they had ordered.
    Don't forget their recent hit piece curse laden video blasting an unknown m14 build on a rockola/bula receiver they posted to facebook. Personally felt that hurt their rep more than it hurt rockola/bula. I off loaded the few smith items i had left after that.

Quote Originally Posted by koreanwargrandson View Post
    Don't forget their recent hit piece curse laden video blasting an unknown m14 build on a rockola/bula receiver they posted to facebook. Personally felt that hurt their rep more than it hurt rockola/bula. I off loaded the few smith items i had left after that.
    Yep Bula has their problems but that piece was absolutely unacceptable.

This one?

I'd be curious to see if that's a factory Bula, a JRA, or some home-build.

Eli