I'm not nearly the most efficient "chop shop" out there either. The number 1 chop shop in the country? The CMP by far. The CMP will convert a rifle to a tanker, has converted more rifles to M1D's then I could ever dream of, converts rifles to .308, re finishes more rifles then probably all private companies combined. The difference between the CMP doing a "bubba" job on a rifle and the rest of us mere mortals doing it? When the CMP does it it's not called a "bubba" job, they take no hit for it, nobody says squat, they are immune from criticism, they are special.

I'll repeat something I've said for many years, what business are you in? Imagine that your line of work was suddenly invaded by a government agency that received its inventory free of charge only paying shipping and storage charges. Would your line of work suffer a competitive disadvantage from this situation? I know I'd like to have free guns and parts sent to me with me only paying the shipping and storage charges, any of us in this business would take that deal. The CMP gets away with it because most people just don't put this odd business scenario into real terms as to how it could affect their line of work, it could/would wreck you.

If you doubt that the CMP offers these services, just check it out http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-g...the-m1-garand/