Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tim's Chop Shop

I'm not nearly the most efficient "chop shop" out there either. The number 1 chop shop in the country? The CMP by far. The CMP will convert a rifle to a tanker, has converted more rifles to M1D's then I could ever dream of, converts rifles to .308, re finishes more rifles then probably all private companies combined. The difference between the CMP doing a "bubba" job on a rifle and the rest of us mere mortals doing it? When the CMP does it it's not called a "bubba" job, they take no hit for it, nobody says squat, they are immune from criticism, they are special.

I'll repeat something I've said for many years, what business are you in? Imagine that your line of work was suddenly invaded by a government agency that received its inventory free of charge only paying shipping and storage charges. Would your line of work suffer a competitive disadvantage from this situation? I know I'd like to have free guns and parts sent to me with me only paying the shipping and storage charges, any of us in this business would take that deal. The CMP gets away with it because most people just don't put this odd business scenario into real terms as to how it could affect their line of work, it could/would wreck you.

If you doubt that the CMP offers these services, just check it out http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/custom-g...the-m1-garand/

Quote Originally Posted by llano52 View Post
    Not my words - I read it on the CMP forum in the Garand section, Field Grade thread, post #40. Apparently, anyone who dares turn a screw on a military rifle is operating a chop shop and is a desecrator of storied military history. What a crock.

"to each there own.......its your guns and as such you can do what you wish.......but i would never lower myself to desecrating an M1 and its storied history by sending it through shuff's or anybody else chop shop........the Vets that once fought (some died) with these guns would roll over in their graves.........just my opinion....."
    My grandfather's and father's DNA could have been on that screw. Bastard!
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Quote Originally Posted by dogboysdad View Post
    My grandfather's and father's DNA could have been on that screw. Bastard!
    And tears - don't forget the tears.

War Room Ready
    [QUOTE=Bob W;56866]
    Let's see, I took a post-war pile of crap with a crown beat half closed, cracked stock, butt plate that looked like it was a drill rifle, that I was afraid to even test-fire.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

So yeah, right, I'm in line for an overpriced beat-to hell 1911. Not.

Sorry, had to edit that and delete a few lines, their lawyers are probably much better than their rifles.
    Last edited by Bob W; 11-30-2017 at 11:17 PM.

As I have said more then once, They ain't all collectable!!!!

I also am a veteran and love my 2 Mini-Gs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike
    Staten Island German Martial Arts (S.I.G.M.A.)
    http://www.sigmanewyork.webs.com/

Time to feed the pigs!!!!!!

The sword of time will pierce our skins
    It doesn't hurt when it begins
    But as it works its way on in
    The pain grows stronger...watch it grin.

I like my guns like I like my cars. Custom. Chop them up. Make it what you want. Who cares what anyone else thinks. Some people are going want concourse original, every bolt and nut. Trailer it everywhere, never drive it, never truly enjoy it. Personally, I better, faster, sleeker. Use it, enjoy it, have fun with it. Chop, channel and put a blower on that 49 Mercury. Cut up the 6 digit receiver and make it a BM59. Make it your personal dream machine.

Junior Cadet
    I bet the US Government has "chopped" more M1 Garand receivers than all the BM59 builders on earth. I particularly like the subtle touch of welding drill rifle barrels to the receivers - a very nice touch courtesy of the US Government.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by Euterpeundersail View Post
    I bet the US Government has "chopped" more M1 Garand receivers than all the BM59 builders on earth. I particularly like the subtle touch of welding drill rifle barrels to the receivers - a very nice touch courtesy of the US Government.
    Considering everything else they do to those drill rifles as well, they aren't much good for anything else... excepting drill practice, or getting parts from them to make OTHER rifles run again. That's my plan for coming up with a USGI M1 Garand receiver to send in along with my kit and barrel. I sure am NOT paying the Gunjoker prices people keep asking for stripped receivers. Heck, you can buy complete M1 Garands on the same search results for less than these guys are asking for run-of-the-mill stripped receivers. I think I paid about $250 for my Grade C receiver. Granted, that was back around 2008 or so but to ask $200 to $300 more than a CMP rack grade complete gun? That's just nuts. As for the 1911 pistols, I didn't sign up for the lottery system to pay a bunch of money for a box of chocolates. You never know what you get until you open it. IF they were selling them in the stores where you could see what you are getting, maybe. But that's more money than I can afford to just toss dice on.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker_from_TN View Post
    Considering everything else they do to those drill rifles as well, they aren't much good for anything else... excepting drill practice, or getting parts from them to make OTHER rifles run again. That's my plan for coming up with a USGI M1 Garand receiver to send in along with my kit and barrel. I sure am NOT paying the Gunjoker prices people keep asking for stripped receivers. Heck, you can buy complete M1 Garands on the same search results for less than these guys are asking for run-of-the-mill stripped receivers. I think I paid about $250 for my Grade C receiver. Granted, that was back around 2008 or so but to ask $200 to $300 more than a CMP rack grade complete gun? That's just nuts. As for the 1911 pistols, I didn't sign up for the lottery system to pay a bunch of money for a box of chocolates. You never know what you get until you open it. IF they were selling them in the stores where you could see what you are getting, maybe. But that's more money than I can afford to just toss dice on.
    How much are they asking for receivers ?
    M1CC #328