Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sounds like price fixing to me....

Patriot

Sounds like price fixing to me....

War Room Ready
    Aw JEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEZ- Read This Article, this clown actually said they're going to keep the price starting up around $1000 to help keep the pistols out of the hands of criminals.

"All we need is to have someone commit a liquor store robbery with one and then we’ll be held accountable.
    Their values might be a little bit less, but we want some sort of threshold to prevent anyone from coming in off the street and plunking down $400."

Called it a "percieved value". Yeah, because I know any criminal who wants to commit a robbery would rather pay $400 for a piece of crap that may/may not fire than just grab a nice used Glock 19 for about $300.
    As if junkies and criminals frequent CMP north.

OH MAN, no wonder the Libs think gun enthusiasts are idiots if this is the public face on it.

I have to say, this CMP representative is a complete MORON. If his view is shared by others in the CMP, they are all a$$holes! dictating costs based on gun control motives is the worst kind of person I know.

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    I have to say, this CMP representative is a complete MORON. If his view is shared by others in the CMP, they are all a$$holes! dictating costs based on gun control motives is the worst kind of person I know.
    Sounds like an excuse for price gauging to me.... Of course they don't want to have something happen and have the politicians pull their supply of free product.

Isn't ~$1K normal for a GI 1911? If that's the going price and that's when the CMP is charging then does the reason really matter?
    !

Patriot
    Now perhaps, but you have to remember they are about to increase supply, so price should drop. But the CMP can set the market because for all intensive purposes they have a monopoly on these products, there is no other new supply being introduced.

Guys on here have suggested that the price of Garands will actually drop once the CMP runs out. I'm starting to think this may be the case.
    Last edited by jbkf1003; 12-01-2017 at 09:52 AM.

Patriot
    If the same trends that follow any CMP release, those sitting on piles of GI 1911/1911A1 parts will greatly benefit! The temptation by many CMP purchasers to make things "all correct", no matter how expensive, is legendary. Heck, even the CMP made some "all correct" (allegedly)....although their cost to do so was certainly a lot less.

War Room Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    Isn't ~$1K normal for a GI 1911? If that's the going price and that's when the CMP is charging then does the reason really matter?
    I do feel it matters, for one thing, the gun control aspect/approach. The CMP (our people, right?) now presume to issue doctrine????
    Another, yes, $1000 is not at all unheard of for a nice 1911. A NICE 1911. He as much as said the nice ones or any semblance of provenance will be more. "around $1000 minimum" is what he said.
    And, indeed, with 100,000 pieces added to the market supply dictates drop.
    Unless, like DeBeers controlled diamonds, you meter them out to increase demand under the pretense of inspection and grading time.
    Hmmm... 10,000 units per yr divided by 52 weeks= 192 units p/wk. Divide by a 5 day week and thats 35-40 a day.
    Pretty good chunk of work, 5 employees doing 1 hr per piece per day, but I don't think it would take that. And at $40,000.00 per day coming in I think they could hire a little extra help, as I have heard they do when other shipments come in.
    And is there no loyalty or appreciation for our past tolerance? I for one, have received no great deals here. I just blow it off to promoting the sport as partially a contribution. And they don't even exist out here.
    So yes, I feel it matters.

A few thoughts come to mind:

"Buy the rifle, not the story"

"Whatever the market will bear."

and

"You don't have to buy them."

I do agree it's completely ridiculous for a CMP employee to give any credence whatsoever to any escalation of gun control by acknowledging it though. The only reason gun control measures get passed is because they (the anti's) listen to us when say we'd accept XXXX.

A $1k for a $1k pistol is a fair deal.

I probably wont be buying one as I don't think they are going to be worth $1k to me.
    !

A few thoughts come to mind:

"Buy the rifle, not the story"

"Whatever the market will bear."

and

"You don't have to buy them."

I do agree it's completely ridiculous for a CMP employee to give any credence whatsoever to any escalation of gun control by acknowledging it though. The only reason gun control measures get passed is because they (the anti's) listen to us when say we'd accept XXXX.

A $1k for a $1k pistol is a fair deal.

I probably wont be buying one as I don't think they are going to be worth $1k to me.
    !