Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sounds like price fixing to me....

Why don't we start the "Battle Tested 1911 Collectors Association" and volunteer over at anniston to sort and grade the pistols?
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

War Room Ready
    Quote Originally Posted by canes7 View Post
    A few thoughts come to mind:

"Buy the rifle, not the story"

"Whatever the market will bear."

and

"You don't have to buy them."

I do agree it's completely ridiculous for a CMP employee to give any credence whatsoever to any escalation of gun control by acknowledging it though. The only reason gun control measures get passed is because they (the anti's) listen to us when say we'd accept XXXX.

A $1k for a $1k pistol is a fair deal.

I probably wont be buying one as I don't think they are going to be worth $1k to me.
    I think it's great that we can disagree without being (too) disagreeable. Few thoughts come to my mind as well. (Occasionally, that is)

"Ship the grade rifle you sold, not the one in your hand"

"Whatever the inflated and manipulated market will bear"

"I certainly don't have to buy them" ....and don't, since my last "one more try" in 2011-

Tim, you saw the crown on that rifle you just did for me, would you have even fired it? I never did, it scared me, and not much does.

" $1000 for a $500 pistol is not a fair deal" ... I believe the phrase "shot out or busted up" was quoted, and admittedly inflating the price just isn't ok. And I'm with you, I won't be buying one either.
    Thanks for your opinion, all valid points.

I just can't see spending that much for something that you have no idea what you will get.

In the past two years I have bought 2 1911 series pistols, retail, for under what CMP is going to ask.

Girst one was at of all places, Cabela's. For 900 bucks I got a M1911 WWII light rebuild. Colt frame and slide, but not matching dates, All 1911 except for the barrel, grips and finish. Barrel was a High Standard contract replacement, grips were wartime brown plastic and the pistol had been parkerized. Came with a very nice USGI brown shoulder holster. The minimal wear on the pistol matched the areas on the holster would rub, both had been together for a long time,

The second one was a run of the mill USGI 1911A1, Remington Rand. Springfield replacement barrel. Thin park, but not refinished. Looked EXACTLY like the one I used to carry as unit armorer back in 1986-7.

Both cheaper than what CMP will want. I am happy with both.

Quote Originally Posted by Hal O'Peridol View Post
    In the past two years I have bought 2 1911 series pistols, retail, for under what CMP is going to ask.

Girst one was at of all places, Cabela's. For 900 bucks I got a M1911 WWII light rebuild. Colt frame and slide, but not matching dates, All 1911 except for the barrel, grips and finish. Barrel was a High Standard contract replacement, grips were wartime brown plastic and the pistol had been parkerized. Came with a very nice USGI brown shoulder holster. The minimal wear on the pistol matched the areas on the holster would rub, both had been together for a long time,

The second one was a run of the mill USGI 1911A1, Remington Rand. Springfield replacement barrel. Thin park, but not refinished. Looked EXACTLY like the one I used to carry as unit armorer back in 1986-7.

Both cheaper than what CMP will want. I am happy with both.
    You did well then , not them normal prices I see
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Don't people buy M1s from CMP and have no idea....other than published grading criteria.....of what they will get?