Thread: 1903 Springfield project

1903 Springfield project

Hello Battle Tested friends,

Am working on a 1903 Springfield project to use up extra parts that I have at home. Might have been better off selling the parts, rather then spending
    money on the major parts that I need to do this build. Oh well.

I had, on hand, a Pre-WWII C stock with hand guard, about 2-3 different complete bolts and various small parts. I thought, What they hell' I'll build a rifle.

1903 Springfield receivers are becoming scarce....even on Gunbroker. Was looking for a high numbered, 1930's period receiver. I ended up getting a decent
    MkI receiver. Still has finish on it, whether original or older redo. Higher number serial, so don't have to worry about that aspect; the barrel threads were good. paid $280 for the receiver.
    pix430724097.jpgpix206603401.jpg

Then, I scoured GunBroker and Ebay for a barrel. Lots of 1903A3 barrels on Ebay, but the M1903 barrels are far between. Picked up a really nice SA 9-42 barrel with a USMC front sight and a complete rear sight. Very good rifling,but outer finish was worn some. Paid $125 for the barrel.
    SA 9-42 Replacement.jpgDate.jpgREar sight close.jpg
    I visited a friend who has the tools to install the barrel. While checking head space with an armorer's tool, we found that the chamber was short! So we ever so carefully reamed it out till it went Go/No Go on the gages.

Had on hand 2-3 different complete bolts. I used an all SA bolt with a NS body

Acquired a fine checkered but plate Early SA....NOT the A3 butt plate; a milled trigger guard/floor plate/Follower & Spring and an upper band.
    Trigger/sear/spring I already had.

All assembled nicely....However.......I forgot ALL about the Ejector and its screw!!!! Also need a lower sling swivel.

Well, the whole purpose for this build was to mount a scope that mounts at the Magazine Cut-Off slot. I bought a Weaver K3 for like $60 that had this B-Square 18477 scope mount with it, So I figured I would try to use it. Haven't yet figured out how to mount it. I've read mixed reviews about the mount. If it doesn;t do well, I just may go with the S&K Springfield mount, which is supposed to zero pretty well and stay solid.

Next time I am home from Overseas, on vacation, I will complete the build, so completed photos and give a range report.

In the meantime, thanks or your interest.

There is the Weaver K3 and the B Square mount....

B Square 18477 scope mount.jpgs-l1600 (1).jpg

Jason, the SK Springfield mount requires some hack work on the stock. Please don't do it!
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I read an article on the installation which had a number of photos. The stock mod is a small indenting on the inside, just below the front of the receiver and just forward of the forward screw. Just enough to make clearance for the protrusion at the bottom of the band that clamps the front of the scope mount.....and a little on each side for the band, itself.
    1465_1903-1.jpghow-to-mount-a-scope-1903-a3-sniper-sk-mounts-parts-in-kit-secure-screw2.jpghow-to-mount-a-scope-1903-a3-sniper-sk-mounts-rout-stock-drill1.jpghow-to-mount-a-scope-1903-a3-sniper-sk-mounts-rout-stock-chip-out1.jpg

The writer of this article looks like he did a good hatchet job on this replacement stock. Guess he didn;t have the right tools. If done carefully, It might not even be noticed.

Am certain that there are many who would adamantly oppose doing anything of the like.......just as there are those in the M1 Garand community who are adamantly opposed to us modifying our M1 receivers for BM59 rifles.

All that being said......maybe I will try to find a replacement C stock...but I really don;t want to put another $150+ into this.

Thanks for your input and concern.

Quote Originally Posted by jason60chev View Post

All that being said......maybe I will try to find a replacement C stock...but I really don;t want to put another $150+ into this.

Thanks for your input and concern.
    Get an aftermarket C stock. Don't destroy a USGI stock for this project.
    I put a S & K Instamount on a 1903A3 and it works fine. I used an aftermarket stock too.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112