Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did Danish soldiers carry M1 Garand ammo?

How did Danish soldiers carry M1 Garand ammo?

Hello Battle Tested Friends,

I am assembling a Beretta PB Danish contract rifle and I have been searching, with no luck, so far, in finding out
    how Danish soldiers equipped with the M1 rifle carried the ammunition clips.......did they use USGI M1923 cartridge belts
    that may have been provided, along with the rifles under the MAP program? Did they use British pattern Enfield pouches or
    did they use Danish made equipment? I can't find any info on this.

Can any of ya'll help? I'd like to have a representative set of basic gear to go with the Danish rifle.

Thanks,

Jason

Hello Battle Tested Friends........After some more thorough research, I think I have answered my own question and I think that some of ya'll might be interested, as well.

There are 2-3 different Post WWII sets of web equipment utilized by the Danish, as well as several other countries.

Will start here with the M/45-50 web equipment. The concept was to maintain a uniform appearance with universal (multi-weapon) gear. The thought being that is all ranks appeared the same, it could counter-balance the effect of snipers. The main pouch had a top section that could be configured differently with inserts and if those were used, there is an access opening at the bottom for the rifleman to retrieve ammo: The tall pouches in this photo. A link to the page is provided.
    https://m55q.weebly.com/m45-50-ammunition-carriers.html
    nyrkam11.jpg

Later, came the M/45-59 web equipment......https://m55q.weebly.com/m45-59-webbi...t-denmark.html
    Though these are different systems, the older equipment was still utilized and equipment and colors were mixed together.

As for the M1 Garand rifle, this article shows this pouch being used: The M/59 Universal ammunition carrier:
    3506553_orig.jpg1960 Photo.jpgbasis_10.jpg8395317_orig.jpg

Seems most countries were seeking universal/multi-weapon pouch systems during the post war period, including the United states with its M1956 gear.
    I am thinking that for the Danish pouch, the M1 clips would be held loose inside the pouch and the rifleman would just reach in to get one. They also had
    the typical ammo bandoleers, too

With this knowledge, I am now putting together a basic set of Danish web gear to go with my PB Beretta Danish Contract M1 Garand, that I am assembling. So far, I have the Pattern 37 web belt; an M/59 ammo carrier; a few Pattern 37 303 cartridge carriers and the small pack with straps. Everything is Danish marked. Will be adding the canteen/carrier; the poncho pouch that attaches at the back of the belt like a butt pack, which is what I will use it as and a pistol holster for my 1954 vintage FN Hi Power pistol.

It is interesting, at least to me, to have some associated gear to go with my firearms. Hope some of you found this interesting.
    Last edited by jason60chev; 12-27-2017 at 05:28 PM.

Sportsmans Guide was selling Danish ammo in bandoliers. Stripper clips-not en-blocs though. This pic is from their site.

Last edited by Punch The Clown; 12-28-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Again from Sportsman Guide. In their description it says they also come in tan. 6 en-blocs packed per bandolier.

When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Still another. This time from Arms List. Seller sts from freshly opened Danish crates.

I assume they were distributed in all kinds of bandoliers and then re-packed by the soldier? Jason, you're a good researcher. Thanks.

Wasn't looking for ammo, just wanted to know HOW they carried it, what pouches, etc they used, but thanks for posting the pics and sources.

Now, anyone who IS looking for ammo, Sportsmansguide is Out of Stock. www.Ammoseek.com shows this current....a couple of minutes ago...availability:

30-06.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Jason, wasn't trying to provide sources for Danish ammo. Since you seem to be interested in Danish Garands I thought you may be interested in the ammo distribution chain from the crate to the soldier. I didn't realize you had no interest in bandoliers and pouches. Sorry.

I did not realize that is what you were doing. My initial question was what equipment/pouches the Danes used to carry ammo for the M1 Garand. Of course, I am interested. I got the impression that places to find Danish ammo was being suggested. I have all the parts, save 4, for my Beretta Danish contract build. I just need to get back home to do the assembly, whenever that will be.

I went through this same thing with the BM59, looking for pouches that would hold the magazines, but wasn't seeking country specific gear. I guess you saw my dissertation on that topic in another thread.

I really appreciate the input and try to add threads that might be of interest to other members.

Commenting way later.....Aug 2019. Well, NOW, I am interested in Danish or even Italian bandoliers, as well as any web gear. Also, Danish But stock cleaning supplies/equipment. If there is any sources describing their cleaning gear issued with the rifles, that would be great. I have found a couple of things, but would like a good source for info. Thanks.