Thread: Convert Garand to .458

Convert Garand to .458 Winchester

I saw an article from 10+ years ago, about how McCann Industries convert the M1 to .458 Winchester. Wow!!! Looks like a drop down gas cylinder (to keep forces on the op rod being more straight than the bends on a Garand op rod?). Also looks like a Mini G in that there is now front hand guard.

The article said the 'smith building them and has passed away so now more are being built.

Y'all hear about this?

Tim, what would be the logistical / Parts problems or limitations or modifications necessary for this?

I have no need for such a conversion, other than having the largest bore, most powerful (at least on some metrics?) big bore Garand!

Below is a link to a picture from the article:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/w...00512575_n.jpg

And here is a link to the article:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...in-mag-garand/
    Last edited by JGW; 01-10-2018 at 09:47 PM. Reason: Clarity

I remember the rifle well. Lot's of things going on behind the scenes on that rifle. Special gas cylinder with larger ring to go around larger barrel, special milling on bolt face, a myriad of other items. There are other home brew Garand's out there I've seen that look like the G but all used the straight gas cylinder. The bend on the short G oprod is not se easy.

McCann built a beautiful rifle. Very few were made and they were quite pricey. He died a few years ago and that rifle died with him.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I would have liked to see it. Before finding this site a while back I wouldn't have thought a 35 Wheelen was possible. Going up to the .458 win was really surprising to read. But since I don't anticipate multiple marauding elephants to come down my street anytime soon, for the one or two that might I'll have to settle for my hot-loaded 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 Gov't!

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by JGW View Post
    I would have liked to see it. Before finding this site a while back I wouldn't have thought a 35 Wheelen was possible. Going up to the .458 win was really surprising to read. But since I don't anticipate multiple marauding elephants to come down my street anytime soon, for the one or two that might I'll have to settle for my hot-loaded 1895 Guide Gun in 45-70 Gov't!
    Short vid...see it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKXCu5oXgFY

McCann was a innovative guy. His ads for his rifles had tits and ass in them which was pretty cool. Although Tim's design and McCann's were similar, Tim's is way more practical. Probably why Tim outsold him a hundred to one. 1/4 the price didn't hurt either.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Patriot
    Great pic of the rifle.....Great ad.....This..........

mccann behind blade of grass.jpg