Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Few More Parts Needed

A Few More Parts Needed

Since Orlando hooked me up on a trigger guard, and I got that all put together and installed, I pulled out a Garand Parts kit to assemble trigger group, rear site, basically everything I could, and inventorying those parts I couldn't assemble, and I find myself in need for the following:

1. Follower Arm;
    2. Nutlock and Spring for Rear Sight; and most significantly,
    3. Receiver.
    4. NM hooded rear sight.

The receiver obviously is the biggest expense, so I'm hoping one of y'all will have a decent one and is feeling somewhat charitable! I don't care manufacture, just that it will fully functional and in spec (and no rewelds); that it will repark well; and no pitting above the wood line. Minor pitting below the wood line is ok.

So, ... can y'all help?

I've thought about just getting a field grade from CMP for $630, so I can use those parts from the FG, and then part out the rest (or keep the rest for another partial Parts kit. But, I'm a little concerned about getting a receiver with pitting above the wood line , or bad bad pitting beneath the wood line.

Your thoughts on this option?

Thanks,

JGW
    Last edited by JGW; 01-10-2018 at 11:56 PM.

Good luck on your quest. Receivers are damn expensive right now which I attribute to the 59 craze.

best option is to buy a Field Grade and use the reciever or better yet just buy a Service Grade and dont build a rifle. It will be much cheaper than your build
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I've thought about getting a field grade; I'm just concerned about the condition of the receiver. I don't want any pitting above the wood line. And I've thought about a service grade, but each time I get a service grade it seems too nice!

Maybe I get a FG, and if the receiver looks good I use that, then sell off the remains Parts. And if the receiver has visible pitting, I just use one of my existing service grades.

In your experience (especially for recently acquired CMP field grade rifles, do the receivers usually have pitting above the wood line?

JGW

I received 2 FG's a month ago, no pitting. They were very good rifles. You could probably buy one then sell off the parts you don't need and recover a few of the dollars you spent on the FG.
    !

Thanks for that input. I'll just do that. It seems field grades are shipping pretty quickly, so I should know within a few weeks of ordering what I have to work with.

JGW

Todays Field Grades are a crap shoot. Some are nice and some IMO are not worth the $$$$. Thing is even the rough ones fall in the Field Grade grade description. Dont expect a nice example or you may be dissapointed.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Whether I get a FG or a SG, I still have basically all the parts for another rifle. So, I would still like to match a receiver to these parts.

If any of y'all have or hear about a clean receiver (no pitting above wood line), and otherwise functional, for around $350-ish (?), please let me know. Price of $350-ish is not set in stone, and I don't want to be penny-wise and pound foolish, but at some price point it doesn't make sense to buy a receiver only.

JGW

Gunbroker has a number of receivers available at times, but like Tim mentioned, are pricey. Am seeing little below $450 unless drill receiver.
    Might also check out: www.riverofguns.com and enter "M1 Garand Receiver" in the search box. This website will list all pertaining ads throughout all the
    gun forums on the web. You might have to register for a particular forum to contact a seller. This is how i found the receiver for my BM59SL Shufflin build.

The "riverofguns.com" site is new to me. Looks like a really powerful tool!

Given the cost of a stripped receiver, and that it appears SG M1s are shipping fairly quickly again, I may just order a SG, and keep the parts other than the receiver as spare parts for the future. Or, maybe part out since I really only need the receiver. Seems this way I'll have a high confidence factor in getting a good receiver. Paying $400-$500 on Gunbroker or elsewhere just for the receiver seems excessive, when I can buy a complete Service Grade rifle for only $250 +/- more.

JGW