Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pachmyr Swing Out Scope Mount for M1 Garand

Pachmyr Swing Out Scope Mount for M1 Garand

All - Any experience in using / reading about the Pachmyr Swing Out (or maybe called Low Swing) Scope Mount made specifically for the M1 Garand? I picked one up on a whim, but wanted to see what your experience is with it.

JGW

Let's see it baby cakes.

Picture of Packmyr M1 Scope Mount

Here is a picture off of Google of an M1 with the Packmyr Swing Out scope mount. This is not my picture, but it is functionally identical. The mount is attached to the receiver by four drilled / tapped screw holes on the left side of the receiver. You can pull it over to the left to use iron sights or load / reload. When you move back into position there is a very positive "lock" to hold the mount in place over the receiver. I think these date back to the 50's or 60's? I got it with an M1 a bought locally for a really low amount. I figured I was buying a receiver and getting the rest of the rifle for free. I didn't realize it was drilled and tapped for the mount (I probably wouldn't have bought the rifle had I known that at the time), but since I got the rifle, mount, etc. for the price of a B grade receiver, I figure it might be made into something good. (After I replace the bolt that somebody chromed. Uggghhh.).
    Attached Images Attached Images

I've been looking for one of those for a while. They're pretty rare on the market, as far as I can tell.

Yah I was looking more to see the mounting style. I'm pretty sure this requires 4 holes being drilled in the receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Yah I was looking more to see the mounting style. I'm pretty sure this requires 4 holes being drilled in the receiver.
    The receiver is indeed drilled / tapped on the left side: 4 screws. For some reason I can't upload the photo of the receiver, but there are 4 screw holes on the left side of the receiver.

Very interesting. I have been wanting to use a scope on a Garand (other than the original style) for a while and keep considering the CASM one that replaces the rear sight. Might have to start looking for one of these.

I talked with a guy that builds custom M1s. He is familiar with the Pachmayr Swing Low scope mount. He told me that if you don't have the special jig from Pachmayr (from way back), you simply cannot drill one of the required holes without the bit "wandering". He built an M1 with this mount on a receiver someone else had already drilled / tapped (with the top / rearward mounting hole having "wandered"). Even with only being affixed to the rifle with three of the four screws, he said it was rock solid, held zero, etc.

Here are some pics:

And a couple more: