Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pachmyr Swing Out Scope Mount for M1 Garand

Is there any issue with ejecting cases hitting the bottom of the scope?

Can't speak to that set up but I can tell you that the center mounted scope mount from m14.ca doesn't have any problems. I would think that they'd both be the same way. If they did strike the bottom of the scope I'd say no worries.

I haven't shot the rifle with this set up yet. The guy I got it from said it was his grandfather's deer rifle for as long as he [the seller] could remember. The seller needed cash to buy a Glock or XD or something. I, on the inside, was shaking my head. Certainly he will regret selling his grandfather's deer rifle to fund a Glock or XD? To each his own I guess. When I shoot the rifle I'll let you know how it does.

JGW

The Griffin & Howe mount that was used on the M1C is still available and is sold by Griffin & Howe, it uses 1" rings. It is offset so there would be no occlusion of the ejection or loading the clips. Not exactly cheap but that is another option. Not sure how it would compare price wise to the installation of a block for an M1D configuration or the Pachmayr mount.

I can't speak to the M1D configuration, but with the Pachmayr, while it centers the scope over the action, if you don't have a special jig (that is not made anymore and is not available even from Pachmayr), then your top right mounting hole (top right from perspective looking at the receiver from the left side) has to go through the curved part of the receiver, and it is impossible to drill a straight hole without it walloring out. The only other M1 I've seen with the Pachmayr mount, I spoke with the builder, and that was his experience as well. Even with only three of the mounting holes securing the mount to the receiver, it is reported to still firmly secure the mount such that point of impact doesn't shift. I hope I find that is true.

With the Griffin and Howe, I don't think you have to be concerned with a wandering drill bit, but you don't have the mount centered. Nevertheless, that didn't seem to hold back the marine and soldiers using an offset mount to good effect in WWII and Korea.

JGW