Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travesty Committed to a 539XXX (6 Digit) Garand

have a picture of the windage knob up close?
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Quote Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
    have a picture of the windage knob up close?
    I have one picture of the windage on my phone. If you can pm me your cell, I can text it to you.

I would upload it from my phone, but I don't remember my username and password (it automatically appears on my laptop when I go to this forum, but I don't have it written down to use on my phone).

JGW
    Last edited by JGW; 01-21-2018 at 02:41 PM.

Not pictures of the windage, but some pictures of this Pachmyar Swing Low scope mount. These pictures are not mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a shout out to Orlando - He has been a huge help today in identifying types of the parts in the M1 referenced in this thread. Thank You!!!

JGW

Back in the 1960's with is how M1 Garands were modified for hunting. The American Rifleman even did an article describing in detail on how to do the modifications.

Quote Originally Posted by RDS View Post
    Back in the 1960's with is how M1 Garands were modified for hunting. The American Rifleman even did an article describing in detail on how to do the modifications.
    I expect that is when this M1 was modified. The person I bought it from seemed to be in his mid-30's, and he told me his grandfather gave it to him and that it had been his grandfather's deer rifle for years. It seems this rifle could have easily been a DCM rifle or .....? (Were M1's sold to the public post-WW2 other than through the DCM / CMP?

JGW

i would think that the scope would be in the way of the clip ejecting after the last shot. I must ask, after the very first post describing this rifle....Did you KNOW what kind of condition this was in or even see the rifle BEFORE you committed to buying it? Trying to fill those holes (if you want to) seems like it would be more expense than if you had
    just bought a good stripped receiver (Which I know are getting expensive.....but so is having extra work done to fix stuff). Trash the stock and get a decent proper one.....or just try to sell or trade off whatever parts you don;t want. Cut your losses as much as you can.

Can;t say that i am perfect about project stuff. Am in the process of trying to assemble a certain revolver, which the route I've chosen is more expansive than other routes I could have taken. Also piecing together an all Beretta Danish M1 and a Tipo-2. Projects are getting expensive.

Anyway......We can all sympathize with your situation but support your project. Make it YOUR project. Am sure all with give assistance along the way. Oh....and please let us all see what you've done during at at the completing of your project.

That's why you use a Holbrook device.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by jason60chev View Post
    i would think that the scope would be in the way of the clip ejecting after the last shot. I must ask, after the very first post describing this rifle....Did you KNOW what kind of condition this was in or even see the rifle BEFORE you committed to buying it? Trying to fill those holes (if you want to) seems like it would be more expense than if you had
    just bought a good stripped receiver (Which I know are getting expensive.....but so is having extra work done to fix stuff). Trash the stock and get a decent proper one.....or just try to sell or trade off whatever parts you don;t want. Cut your losses as much as you can.

Can;t say that i am perfect about project stuff. Am in the process of trying to assemble a certain revolver, which the route I've chosen is more expansive than other routes I could have taken. Also piecing together an all Beretta Danish M1 and a Tipo-2. Projects are getting expensive.

Anyway......We can all sympathize with your situation but support your project. Make it YOUR project. Am sure all with give assistance along the way. Oh....and please let us all see what you've done during at at the completing of your project.
    Thank you for your comments. One particular couple of days, I sent inquiries on local and state gun forums, and national gun forums, as to probably 7 or 8 different M1s. The guy with this M1 provided pics, description, etc., and when I saw those I ruled out that rifle. And I didn't particularly want (at the prices required) the others I inquired about. A couple of weeks later I got a text message if I was still interested in the rifle, he had lowered his price by about 40% (then about 50%). I didn't recall the exact rifle (real busy at work; lots of late nights); and I responded I was still interested. We set up a time to meet.

When we met I had the $ to buy at his price. I saw the condition, realized it was a rifle I previously decided to not buy, but with his drop in price and him clearing needing the cash, and me not rejecting the rifle to him (like I had done with myself the week before), I felt bad about not buying it. So I bought it. Don't ever look to me for investment advice!

I didn't feel too bad buying it, even after I realized it was the drilled / tapped receiver with the (what I think is terrible) stock, because I figured at worst it was a parts rifle and I would only lose $200 - $300.

Now, money isn't cheap to me, but the guy needed it, I felt like I had unfairly led him on, and decided it was the right thing to do to go forward with the sale.

And if in the future any of you take advantage of this stupidity of mine, then a pox upon you and your house!!!!

Bottom line, I'm not hurt too badly; I may even have some desirable parts that I didn't realize I had. He got some cash to take care of some immediate needs. This is a hobby; both of us are ok~!

JGW

You have a serviceable receiver with a scope mount, a trigger group, stock metal, a handguard, internal parts, op-rod, lockbar sights and I think a stock that would look fine with that tru-oil or urethane or whatever it is on it. Make it into a .308 Mini G with a Holbrook and you will have a nice hunting rifle.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau