Thread: British Proof Marked Barrel

British Proof Marked Barrel

As I was going through my various rifles to record details, parts, etc., I found I have one with a British proof mark (proofed at Birmingham Proof House). The barrel is dated 12/53. The bolt is a war years Winchester (D28287-1 W.R.A.). Receiver is an SA 4,323,XXX (1954-1955). Op Rod is D35382 SA. Stock is very nice, with no discernible markings, so almost certainly non-GI (and if it is GI, then all the markings have been sanded off). Trigger housing is November, 1944 - January, 1945 (D28290-14-SA).

In view of choosing 2-3 rifles to sell, my questions here are:

[INDENT]1) does the British proof marked barrel make this worth more or less? Is there any increased collector value?

2) does the war years Winchester bolt add any value?[

3) does the war years trigger housing add any collector value? /INDENT]

Thanks,
    JGW
    Last edited by JGW; 03-19-2018 at 08:40 PM.

I would say it is worth what a shooter is worth. No points for any of the features you mentioned in my opinion. British proof marks used to be like the plague. Then mis-informeds thought that everything with a British proof is a lend -lease. Which ain't so.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Thanks. I knew it could not be a LL, since the barrel is dated 1954. I was hoping the referenced parts may be particularly desirable, but . . . . oh well.

Thanks,
    JGW

All Winchester bolts are WWII.
    [SIGPIC]

Sean - Of course that's correct. I wasn't thinking when I wrote that. If it's any excuse I tore a retina today and I'm a little out of it.

JGW