Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rifle values???

Junior Cadet

Rifle values???

I have a nice looking Garand Springfield serial #904097. It’s supposed to be era correct, 1942, and I had a local guy tell me it was worth quite a bit of money. Problem is it has failure to extract and eject and feed. Something I’ve never experienced with a Garand. Oh and the trigger assembly falls out under recoil. I took it to shop in Fresno, guy told me all the problems I am having was due to the stock being compressed and recommend I Change the stock.

So a couple questions.

Is this rifle worth putting serious money into?

Is it worth the money to buy the era correct parts to keep it stock?

Am I better off selling this thimg to a collector and just filing the paperwork for another H&R from CMP?

Thanks guys

It if is indeed correct, give the chamber a good cleaning and sit on it or sell it. Many times a good chamber cleaning on these will cure FTE issues.

Junior Cadet
    Wilco Tim. Thank you for the reply. I was showing off my H&R last night and it refused to take the enbloc clip.... turns out I fixed the issue after 20 min worth of fiddling with it. But that pisses me off too. I guess I don’t have a reliable Garand. That H&R just may get shipped to you for some work now that I completed my escape from CA.

If the rifle is absolutely, and undeniably, ORIGINAL, then it’s worth about $3000 in today’s market. If it’s just correct, or corrected, it’s worth about $2000. If it’s neither, figure about $1000.
    [SIGPIC]

Junior Cadet
    seaninmich,

Thats what I was originally told, by said acquaintance in Fresno. Im glad to hear that and I appreciate the info. Hopefully it is what was claimed. Ill polish up the chamber nice with some Ballistol and go hit the hills and try it again. My faith got shook in my rifles the last couple of times I have took them out.

If the trigger assembly falls out after every shot, then either the stock wood is compressed or the trigger guard locking lugs are flattened /"D" shaped or both.
    Swapping out the trigger guard should be tried first.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post
    If the trigger assembly falls out after every shot, then either the stock wood is compressed or the trigger guard locking lugs are flattened /"D" shaped or both.
    Swapping out the trigger guard should be tried first.
    I had this exact issue a couple of months ago. I bought a NOS trigger guard ($35 (?)) and it fixed the problem. I wouldn't pass on the rifle (if it is otherwise a good deal) based on this problem.

JGW

Quote Originally Posted by JGW View Post
    I had this exact issue a couple of months ago. I bought a NOS trigger guard ($35 (?)) and it fixed the problem. I wouldn't pass on the rifle (if it is otherwise a good deal) based on this problem.

JGW
    One has to make sure of the correct trigger guard if the rifle is to remain "era correct". There are more than 2 options.
    Jon

Junior Cadet
    Agreed. Swapping the trigger group is a fantastic idea. I can switch trigger assembly’s out of my H&R and see if there’s any difference. If it works, I can start my hunt for a “correct” piece.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Perhaps you could take some pics of the rifle,and all of it's components.We can verify if it is "correct",or not?
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)