Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removal of Front and Rear Handguards

Removal of Front and Rear Handguards

I want to remove the front and rear hand guards on one of my M1's. I've never removed them before.

1) Is there a special tool to use in order to remove the stock ferrules / clip?

2) Is this difficult to do without damaging the metal and/or the wood?

3) Is it difficult to put it back together, again without damaging anything?

Thanks,

JGW

Remove the gas cylinder and the front hand guard slides right off.
    http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/...assystem2.html

Get the correct size pin punch and remove the pin from the lower band.
    http://www.civilianmarksmanship.com/...lowerband.html

Slide off the lower band and then slide the rear hand guard off the barrel.
    If the band is on the barrel real tight, use a wood block to tap the lower band off the barrel

Some people can remove the rear hard guard without removing the lower band, but I never tried it. I was afraid of cracking
    the rear hand guard.

When reassembling, just make sure have the hole in the lower band and pin grove in the barrel are lined up before tapping the pin back in.
    Last edited by jak; 03-28-2018 at 02:35 PM.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post

Some people can remove the rear hard guard without removing the lower band, but I never tried it. I was afraid of cracking
    the rear hand guard.

That's why there are holes in the bottom of the clip,you are supposed to be able to put a punch in to remove hanguard...I've never tried either,because I'm too scared!
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    That's why there are holes in the bottom of the clip,you are supposed to be able to put a punch in to remove hanguard...I've never tried either,because I'm too scared!
    I have done the punch/pry technique and it will work if you are patient, have professional punches that will not break or bend (cheapies will ) and the handguard is not old, dry and brittle. BUT NOT ALWAYS! I have fubared one handguard that was new so now I remove the lower band if it is 100% necessary to take the rear handguard off.

I've done the pin punch method to remove the rear guard without removing the rear band. Just go SLOW and EASY. It's not brain surgery.
    Jon

Thanks for all the input. It seems it is time for me to get a gas cylinder wrench, etc. I'm not going to chance screwing up the hand guards.

JGW

1/4 inch extension with ratchet will fit perfectly into a cross slot gas screw to remove/install it
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Isn't there a special wrench that holds the gas cylinder and barrel rigidly together so that when the gas screw is turned it does not torque the gas cylinder? Is that needed / or a valid concern of mine?

JGW

GI's never had such a wrench but you can buy one or you can wrap gas cylinder with leather or rag and hold with monkey wrench.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I saw a video on youtube of a guy removing the rear handguard clip with a combo tool that he inserted in the hole like Prince Humperdink said. He made it look easy - I didn't try. Bought the pliers and proceded to over stretch one. I couldn't seem to get the right angle or torque on it with the pliers so I try to not take them off if possible. It works but doesn't fit quite right.