Thread: RX Glasses for Middle Aged Eyes / Blurry Front Sights

RX Glasses for Middle Aged Eyes / Blurry Front Sights

All - For those of you who have the presbyopia that comes about in the 45-50+ year old range, and your font sights have become so blurry it adversely effects sight picture, etc., what has been your solution? It seems that a set of glasses which are focused specifically at the front sight distance would work for that, but then would the target blur away?

JGW

I just blame the bad target on the wind , ammo, etc
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

The front sight should be razor-sharp and in focus. The rear sight and target will be blurred. This is because the human eye can not focus on all 3 planes at the same time. There's nothing you can do about that.
    Jon

Try to shoot with the target in bright sunlight. Switch to a NM rear aperture. You may want to mod the apertures to be quick change so if it gets cloudy or dark you can switch to a larger rear aperture. Try using a 6'oclock hold. Keep the target blurry and the front sight in focus.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Try to shoot with the target in bright sunlight. Switch to a NM rear aperture. You may want to mod the apertures to be quick change so if it gets cloudy or dark you can switch to a larger rear aperture. Try using a 6'oclock hold. Keep the target blurry and the front sight in focus.
    Punch, can you describe the quick change aperture system you mentioned? A google search didn't pull anything up for me.

I'll have to find a pic somewhere. You grind a bevel at the bottom of the aperture and you can crank it out without dis-assembly.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Top sight is normal. Bottom sight is ground and beveled. You just raise the sights until you can remove it.
    You do the reverse to install the sight. That's a quick change sight.
    Last edited by jak; 04-25-2018 at 06:41 PM.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

Quote Originally Posted by jak View Post

Top sight is normal. Bottom sight is ground and beveled. You just raise the sights until you can remove it.
    You do the reverse to install the sight. That's a quick change sight.
    That makes sense I think. Thank you!

JGW

Quote Originally Posted by JGW View Post
    That makes sense I think. Thank you!

JGW
    Try to find a NM aperture for bright days and drill out an aperture for overcast.