Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best grade to use for a Mini-G?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Junior Cadet

Best grade to use for a Mini-G?

Hello all, I am new to the forum and new to M1’s in general. I stumbled across the Mini-G when curiousity about CMP rifles led me to it. Well it’s a good thing I found it because I didn’t know until I saw it that I likely can’t live without one. In fact I wonder how I made it this far not owning one. Anyways, I got the ball rolling on an M1 Collectors membership. In perusing what the CMP has to offer right now, there are Field and Service grades. I plan to send this off to Mr. Shufflin for a Mini-G conversion. It looks like the main difference between the 2 grades is muzzle wear/damage. Since it’s getting a new muzzle somewhere south of the current one, I would think that wouldn’t matter. But I figured I’d ask those who might know better since this is my first foray into M1’s and the Mini-G. I am planning on retaining the .30-06 chambering, so as I understand it Mr. Shufflin will use the existing barrel. Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Lightsout - I haven't had Mr. Shufflin convert one of my M1's yet. Every time I decide which one to send him I end up finding another M1 locally that I just have to have, or I change my mind on caliber, stock choices, etc. However, based on a lot of reading here, and my understanding of what the various rifle grades from the CMP are, I'll give my opinion.

I think the answer depends on what you want the final result to look like in terms of metal, stock, throat erosion, and possibly muzzle wear. Any rifle you buy from CMP will safely function, and any rifle Mr. Shufflin converts for you is going to safely function. The higher the grade rifle you start with, the lower the variables that may matter to you present. These seem to be:

a. appearance and condition of the stock: a higher grade rifle should provide a better looking stock (or you can buy a new stock);
    b. the condition of the metal (i.e., pits, etc.): the higher the grade, the better the condition the metal should be;
    c. throat erosion: the higher the grade, the lower the TE may be;
    d. condition of the rifling: the higher the grade the better you may receive (or buy a new barrel for installation);
    e. stock to receiver fit: the higher the grade the better you may receive;
    g. wear on the various parts of the rifle: the higher the grade the better you may receive;
    h. perhaps others.

Some of these are aesthetic only, but the aesthetics are already going to be enhanced by re-parkerizing the receiver, barrel, sights, etc. Some of these effect accuracy somewhat, but the Mini G is is not designed or sold as a target rifle. Whatever the inherent accuracy of the rifle you buy, your resulting Mini G will likely be more accurate, simply by eliminating the forward 8" of the barrel, and thereby removing the highest wear area and creating a brand new crown.

When I finally decide which rifle to have converted, it will be a Service Grade, both because all I have are Service Grades or better, and because I want the best condition internals, no pitting in the metal, etc.I also have a new laminate stock to go with it, and it will get a new barrel.

Will my resulting Mini G shoot any better than a Rack Grade conversion? Does it need to shoot better? And if it does, how much better is that and am I a good enough off-hand shooter to tell the difference? I hope the answers to those questions are "yes", but in all likelihood, I doubt that when shooting off-hand I could group the rifle any better than a Rack Grade without new stock, barrel, etc. Nevertheless, I want the tightest fitting, best looking, etc. Mini G simply because . . . . well, simply because.

So, in the end I think it comes down to what you want it to look like, and how much more you want to spend to increase the aesthetics in your eyes, and/or possibly increase the accuracy of the finished product.

JGW

I think JGW's answer is on the money and the guys on here with much more experience than me will probably chime in later but here is my two cents.

I went through the same thought process before my mini-g build and I went back and forth between using a receiver in good shape (probably service grade or better) and a ROUGH one I had (probably rack grade or worse). I ended up using the rough one since it needed to be reparked anyway. I am VERY happy with mine and the reparked receiver looks really good. Most of my other parts were NOS that I had already so I haven't had any problems. I put it in a Nutmeg laminated stock and it shoots great.

If I had it to do over I would:
    Use the better receiver and unless it needed it, not have it reparked. Then use the rough receiver for a BM59 build.
    Use a regular stock instead of the laminate.

Other than that you might want to talk to Tim and see what he recommends.
    Good luck!

Junior Cadet
    Thank you JGW and jtsemperfi for the replies. I am looking forward to diving into the M1 world. I don’t have any outrageous expectations for a Mini-G, it just strikes me as a particularly useful rifle. I am not a big fan of the scout rifle concept (don’t like the forward mounted optic) but it seems like a Mini-G could fill the same “jack-of-all-trades” role pretty well. I am not planning on scoping it or anything, just going for a standard Mini-G. I figure a handy .30-06 semi-auto with decent sights ought to be handle most chores that need doing. I am impressed by how great some of the pics of other Mini-G’s look, and from what I’ve heard I will be happy with any work Mr. Shufflin does. Chances are it won’t stay pretty though, I expect to get a lot of use out of it. So if I understand your points correctly, it seems like I might as well save a few bucks and go with a Field Grade rifle then.

Field grade with a good stock set is most always a winner.

Junior Cadet
    Thank you, a Field Grade it will be then! I don’t know how long the process takes to get a CMP rifle but as soon as I hear back from the M1 Collectors Club I’m gonna send off for one. I haven’t even ordered one yet much less sent it off for conversion and I already got that little boy at Christmas feeling.

The good news is that when your Mini-G shows up it will be the best Christmas EVER!!

Junior Cadet
    Just won an auction on Gunbroker for a nice H&R with nice wood and a new Criteron barrel in 308. I'll be sending it
    to Shuff for a Mini-G conversion. I almost did this a year ago but couldn't find a donor rifle at a decent price. I'm a die hard FAL fan and an old member on the fal files. I have lots of 308 to burn. I plan to take the rifle out to the range and play with it for 1 day and back in the mail it goes to Shuff...Yipeeee!

Quote Originally Posted by az dave View Post
    Just won an auction on Gunbroker for a nice H&R with nice wood and a new Criteron barrel in 308. I'll be sending it
    to Shuff for a Mini-G conversion. I almost did this a year ago but couldn't find a donor rifle at a decent price. I'm a die hard FAL fan and an old member on the fal files. I have lots of 308 to burn. I plan to take the rifle out to the range and play with it for 1 day and back in the mail it goes to Shuff...Yipeeee!
    It's always good to test fire it before you send it. Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by az dave View Post
    I saw that rifle on auction. You did well on it! If I wasn't bidding on another rifle at the same time, I was going to bid on this one. (I didn't win the other one though).

JGW