Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suppressed Mini-G issues

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
    Would be interested in the thread spec....was this for an oil filter adapter?
    5/8x24, fairly typical for .30 caliber and no.

Sounds like the barrel is going to have to be threaded or a larger diameter hole will have to be used on the suppressor.

Patriot
    Is that a BM59 Gas cylinder that's been filled in?

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    Sounds like the barrel is going to have to be threaded or a larger diameter hole will have to be used on the suppressor.
    Assuming you're referring to an extended muzzle? Since barrel can't be threaded larger and longer would interfere with gas lock fit unless it was re-threaded for the entire ID.Only about 1/2 inner length came threaded OEM and am beginning to suspect these were non-concentric to be gin with but have yet to try threading it onto my other two Garand rifles to check. Also noted they have not been offered by Standard Parts since my post..

Larger ID suppressor would put my into 'Big Boy' category and into significant more money or a complete custom which would be the same thing. If that's my only option, I'll let her bark.

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by jbkf1003 View Post
    Is that a BM59 Gas cylinder that's been filled in?
    As mentioned in Post #9, yes. I had the grenade launcher cylinder TIGed closed because I have no intention of firing dummy grenades from my carbine.

I don't think the M1 gas system lends itself to using a suppressor. The dwell time is just way too long.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
    Assuming you're referring to an extended muzzle? Since barrel can't be threaded larger and longer would interfere with gas lock fit unless it was re-threaded for the entire ID.Only about 1/2 inner length came threaded OEM and am beginning to suspect these were non-concentric to be gin with but have yet to try threading it onto my other two Garand rifles to check. Also noted they have not been offered by Standard Parts since my post..
    :
    Larger ID suppressor would put my into 'Big Boy' category and into significant more money or a complete custom which would be the same thing. If that's my only option, I'll let her bark.
    How was the threading performed on your rifle? With a die or single pointed in a lathe?

EDIT to add comments----

A few things to take into account---

--I guess you could swap any one component, or all of them to other barrels. Unless ALL the barrels were exactly the same---threads exactly the same spec? O.D. of barrel to bore--are they exactly the same in regards to concentricity? And there would be more considerations I think, but, and it's just my opinion, swapping between barrels with specs that most probably differ would not mean much.

--Parts "stack up"-- Lots of thread interface combinations going on with your installation. But, if the gas lock was installed with the rifle barrel bore indicated between centers or a spider, or even a four jaw chuck, then most probably any run out from the gas lock would be removed when turned to size in preparation for threading while still setup between centers, or other means to ensure no change.

--The M1 rifle poses a lot of challenges in regards to hanging things on the front end. Even if everything was indicated, turned on centers and centerline of bore in relation to final threading was dead nutz on, then what about repeatability if all the parts are removed down to the gas cylinder and then re-installed? Most probably you would want to recheck the whole installation again. Maybe a range rod ground to fit the barrel bore and installed device might be a prudent thing to have.

---And why the part is not offered anymore.----Same as other items that are not posted for online availability. One observation is when problems are brought onto the internet for discussion instead of a phone call to vendor or source to discuss the issues first. In most cases many internet discussions jumps the shark and heads in multiple direction in multiple venues and becomes nothing more than a dumpster fire. Not saying that's the case here, but most often time it is.

So, the part in question was done to a print by a qualified shop well versed in firearm parts and C3 weapons. The print called out certain requirements as to thread spec, use of a certified thread gage, material and so forth.

Since we are about to the bottom of the bin on this component it's simply easier to drop it from inventory.

If you have any questions you can contact me thru this site, or via email thru our website.

Greg
    StandardParts LLC
    Last edited by ordmm; 05-17-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Shouldn't matter if the gas lock was concentric or not, those who lathe it/thread it should be making it concentric. Even if that lock was made concentric though, I don't see the necessary support. That lock would have to be threaded all the way back and even then, would the suppressor manufacturer say that was enough support? There's a lot of moving parts here.

I'll say it again though, the one guy who I saw a Mini-G successfully suppressed, used an extended muzzle and a jamb nut.