Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suppressed Mini-G issues

Cadet

Suppressed Mini-G issues

Actually mine's a Mini-(BM)G I guess? Has Shuff even come out with an official designation for the Minis with the BM59 drop-down cylinder?

Anyway, I bought one of the 'builder gas locks' from Standard Parts and had a LGS who claimed to be capable (and was recommended) thread it up for me. He also installed the muzzle adapter for the suppressor and told me I was 'good to go.' I took his word for it, took it home and test fired with out the can and could only get single-shot fire out of it no matter how I adjusted the Schuster. Got frustrated and screwed the can on and tried it and was finally able to get some semi-auto function but not reliably and TONS of gas in my face. After giving up and taking the can off I heard a light rattling. Turned out I'd had a minor baffle strike. Took the muzzle adapter off to reveal a thread job that looked worse than any plumbing pipe I've ever worked with. The gas lock was also visibly non-concentric. Quick call to Tim and check of the rifle verified that LGS screwed gas lock on two turns two far and occluded gas port.

Has anyone else used one of Standard Parts 'builder gas locks' and had any luck with a competent 'smith threading it?

Kinda wishing I'd stuck with the Mini-G config and could just order the threaded gas lock from Fulton Armory..

MVIMG_20180306_180726_01.jpgIMG_20180306_181025_01.jpg

All I can comment on this is that you have to have the gas port aligned to make the rifle work and the threads have to be concentric to make a suppressor work. I'll also add that there is no way there's enough support on that muzzle for a suppressor. I have no idea what the guy did, as in the whole story, but just what I've seen here isn't good.

I have had customers suppress these. One had me make an extra long muzzle which he had someone thread for some type of screw on sleeve and nut tensioner. He reported good results as the Schuster vents off the gas that you had blow back in your face. Hard to vent anything though when the gas port isn't lined up.

I'll also add that, and I don't know suppressors, it would seem that they would have threaded the ENTIRE gas lock to get more support and have a nut on there to tighten it.

Cadet
    Tim,

Appreciate your comments as always. The gas lock was threaded the necessary amount to seat the muzzle adapter's shoulder and could not be threaded completely. Was hoping somebody else had gone/tried this and might chime in with some advice or references.

Thanks for the tips in helping to get the gun running again. If I can get the gas lock issue figured out I'll get back with you on an extended muzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by txarsoncop View Post
    Tim,

Appreciate your comments as always. The gas lock was threaded the necessary amount to seat the muzzle adapter's shoulder and could not be threaded completely. Was hoping somebody else had gone/tried this and might chime in with some advice or references.

Thanks for the tips in helping to get the gun running again. If I can get the gas lock issue figured out I'll get back with you on an extended muzzle.
    It is my opinion to thread the entire thing and use a jamb nut. That’s the method I’ve seen that worked.

Edit, also did someone TIG or braze your gas cylinder?

I keep coming up with more stuff. Did they thread the muzzle of the barrel or Standard Parts gas lock?

What suppressor are you using?

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    What suppressor are you using?
    Would be interested in the thread spec....was this for an oil filter adapter?

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    It is my opinion to thread the entire thing and use a jamb nut. That’s the method I’ve seen that worked.

Edit, also did someone TIG or braze your gas cylinder?
    I get what you're saying about the jamb nut. And yes, the GC was TIGed closed on both sides since I wasn't planning on using grenade sights.

Only thing the local 'smith threaded was the outside of the gas lock. Gas lock threads on like normal.

Suppressor and muzzle adapter are both from Rugged, the can is the Surge 762 with ADAPT module. Pretty quiet, kinda long with the extra module added (doesn't have to be used), but I can also change the endcap when I shoot sub .30 caliber to 5.56 to keep things quieter.

Quote Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
    Would be interested in the thread spec....was this for an oil filter adapter?
    Like Greg said, what's the thread and pitch? It is my opinion that you need to have someone thread this who can take it in and do it in house. Preferably someone who makes cans. I'd let them know before hand if the amount of support you can make from the lock is enough to support the can.