Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drill Rifle Contined

Patriot

Drill Rifle Contined

Finally got the drill rifle I had ordered and had to send it back! I had ordered a Remington and they had sent me a Smith Corona. It was supposed to be operational in that the action was supposed to work. Well it was frozen solid and the challenge was on. I soaked it in WD Forty and was finally able to open the bolt. Once opened the receiver proved to be solid RUST not at all what had been advertised. The good news is the gentleman asked that I return the SC and he would send me the Remington and insure that it was as advertised. Can't ask for more than that. Now I am in for another long wait before I go see my buddy in Devine to clean it up.Save your 03A3 parts as I will be looking and asking for parts you may have for sale. Wish me luck I can use it
    Mix

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I think I want to re activate another one.Too bad I got rid of all My old parts.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

To bad Mix. I was looking forward to the project myself. Well the extra wait will probably work to the best anyway.
    "No man who is not willing to bear arms and to fight for his rights can give a good reason why he should be entitled to the privilege of living in a free community." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thats too bad. I am looking forward to following your progress. Never really done any work on the 1903.
    M1 COLLECTORS CLUB
    WWW.M1COLLECTORSCLUB.COM
    JOIN US TODAY!

Visit the club on our new YouTube page!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/M1CCGunner

Visit our Facebook page for info and pics of the CMP, Garands etc..

“Anyone who trades liberty for security deserves neither liberty nor security” Ben Franklin

I just picked up two, one is just the barreled receiver and will be my test/learning rifle, I only spent 40 bucks for it the other is complete and the weld in the cutoff was not done very well, but that's good for me, so hoping for an easy build. I have a 03A4 bolt, scope rings and mount, and a Weaver 330 scope so get my hands on a good barrel, a repark job and I will be ready for Camp Perry next summer..... I can't believe I got the pictured rifle for 150.00, the stock is worth 125.00 its self, all the proper stamps, the receiver is in beautiful shape and like I said its an easy fix, I cannot wait...
    Last edited by devildog; 10-13-2011 at 07:33 PM.

got the barrel now, and have cut the welds, this may not be all that hard, still have a little work with a file to make it look pretty......

Patriot
    I got lucky too. The weld was cracked and all it took was a pass with my Dremel cut off wheel and the bolt was out! Went to see my buddy in Devine and he told me to bring the receiver and not worry about cutting the weld on the barrel as the barrel would come right off and it did. Very little clean up work needed. My grandson is a real happy camper as he has laid claim to the 03, beat his dad that time! Elmer let him do the head spacing so he feels he has a legit claim. He has to take pics before we talk so I can post them.
    Mix

Junior Cadet
    I think I am going to try this myself. Are you getting the rifles from CMP? Do you have pictures of the location of the welds? What parts need to be replaced to reactivate the weapon? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by mixmaster View Post
    I got lucky too. The weld was cracked and all it took was a pass with my Dremel cut off wheel and the bolt was out! Went to see my buddy in Devine and he told me to bring the receiver and not worry about cutting the weld on the barrel as the barrel would come right off and it did. Very little clean up work needed. My grandson is a real happy camper as he has laid claim to the 03, beat his dad that time! Elmer let him do the head spacing so he feels he has a legit claim. He has to take pics before we talk so I can post them.
    Mix
    Where are you on this project Mix?
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Patriot
    I will try to post a pic of one of them as there are now three of them! I have pretty much used up all the 03 parts I had
    Mix