Thread: Is 308 M1 hard on brass?

Junior Cadet

Is 308 M1 hard on brass?

Hey guys. I'm wondering if a 308 garand is hard on brass since I reload. Soon I would like to send to Shuff for Mini-G and can't decide on 30-06 or 308. I have an FAL that is hard on brass so just want some input. I don't have any 30-06 rifles and we are set up for reloading 308 already. 7.62 NATO can fare a little better than commercial 308 brass. Thanks

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    The M1 rifle,is by design hard on brass.The rifle was made to function with no regard given to expended brass,so it still slams .308 in,and throws it out.Even with nicks,and dented mouths, You can still reload the brass just fine
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Junior Cadet
    Thanks Prince Humperdink.

I agree with Ryan. All autoloaders being 30-06 or 7.62x51 are very hard on brass. I only use NATO brass on my .308 autoloaders and mil surp 30-06 on my Garands.

Another issue is primers. Military primers are harder metal than civilian primers reducing the chance of a slam fire. When reloading for autoloaders really try to get mil spec primers.
    Last edited by Punch The Clown; 06-03-2018 at 03:44 PM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

I’ll get 4-5 reloads out of my LC .308 brass with a fairly stout load. That seems to be the average for may shooters. You may go beyond that if you get into annealing.
    !

Junior Cadet
    Thanks guys. Input from you who are M1 guys is always welcome and helpful.

I've experienced slam fire on one of my M1 Garands using my own hand loads. Fired two round very quickly!!!! I was using regular Large rifle primers. They may not have been seated deep enough on those rounds.