Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: That'll do, donkey. That'll do.

Smile That'll do, donkey. That'll do.

Finally got the chance to fix a few minor, albeit nagging, details on my A-O 1911. New commander-style hammer, adjustable trigger (3.5lbs), sear, disconnector, and a set of double-diamond Cocobolo grips.

Here it is, shortly after I got it. Previous owner didn't treat it very kindly, and Bubba worked in a few pearls of discontent at some point in the past.

Here how she looks now, with the new goodies in and on it. Pay no attention to all the fingerprints...

What do you guys think?
    "Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Much nicer!!! Where did you get that hammer?

Looks much better. I favor the wood over the wrap around grips. The commander hammer is my preference also. Just adds that little extra!
    "No man who is not willing to bear arms and to fight for his rights can give a good reason why he should be entitled to the privilege of living in a free community." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Looks much better.How does it shoot?
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Quote Originally Posted by BRUTUS View Post
    Much nicer!!! Where did you get that hammer?
    Thanks. Got it off of Gunbroker, from a guy up in Alaska. It was a six-part set. Trigger, disconnector, sear, hammer, mainspring, and sear spring, all for $48. The parts were made by John Masen, which according to quite a few reports on various gun websites, are supposed to be absolute junk. These dropped right in, and function just as they should. Trigger pull is right around 3.5lbs now. The cocobolo grips were $24, and were made by Herrett.
    "Once the number three, being the third number, be reached, then lobbest thou thy Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch towards thy foe, who, being naughty in my sight, shall snuff it."

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    Looks much better.How does it shoot?
    I'm hoping to give it a workout in the next day or so. The last time, it wasn't too good. Most of the internals were either simply wore out, or were ground and polished beyond function. "Bubba" needs a swift kick to the mommy-daddy button.

You did good.
    Μολὼν λάβε
    VFW life member.
    NRA life member.

New grips look much better, gotta love those 1911's
    In God we trust, all others pay cash.

Founding Member
    Looks great! Good job

Looks nice. Every once in a while, I thumb through my Brownell's 100th Anniversary catalog here on the boat. Lots of goodies in there.

If you don't mind spending a little extra cash, I get my grips from here: www.thefinergrain.com

My next set is coming unfinished so I can oil them instead of the poly gloss stuff.
    Josh
    M1CC #628
    GySgt/USMC
    6116/0931