Thread: "Rebuilt" Op Rod vs New Old Stock Op Rod

"Rebuilt" Op Rod vs New Old Stock Op Rod

All - A couple of my M1's have very worn, out of spec, op rod tabs such that the op rods regularly dismount during firing as well as dry firing.

I also have one that I think must be bent incorrectly (?), because has a significant hang up / drag on the bottom side of the barrel (everything is properly lubricated). And, it fails the "tilt" test with , and not by a little bit. (This particular op rod I bought off ebay that was supposed to be "NOS", but the only thing new about it was a fixed tab and repark).

I need these replaced / fixed. I have a few questions that I hope ya'll can help me with:

Q1: Does Mr. Shufflin rebuild / repair these, or do I need to look elsewhere?

Q2: If Mr. Shufllin does not do this, then who would you recommend?

Q3: I understand that a properly rebuilt (tab, bends, piston tip, etc.) op rod is every bit as good as when it was new.

Does this apply to a NM / Series 77 op rod? i.e., if a NM or series 77 op rod is rebuilt and done correctly, does it still have all the characteristics / potential benefits of a NOS NM op rod / series 77 op rod? Or, is it now as good as a "regular" op rod" Or .....?

Thank you in advance for your contributions.

JGW

Q4:

I do do them but not as a focus. I do them primarily as an aside when already working on a Garand. I would recommend to just send to columbus. NM oprods are nothing more then an oprod with "NM" stamped on them in my opinion. In some cases NM oprods are inferior, most have softer tubes.

Thank you.

JGW

1) never once have I seen a NOS oprod. You got sold ocean-front property in Wyoming.

2) Nm/77 oprods are the same as all the rest
    [SIGPIC]

I have had a few of them
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

All - I sent some pics to Orlando of the op rod tab on the 2 op rods of concern. I also bought a new set of calipers / micrometer. On both tabs, the front, top corner is not square. Rather, they look almost cut at a 45 degree angle, basically serving as a "ramp". I measured other dimensions, and my new calipers / micrometer paid off. The various dimensions are all out of spec. So, they are going off to CMW.

JGW

Here's a link to Columbus Machine works.

Thank you.

JGW