Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BM59E barrel VS BM59 barrel?

Junior Cadet
    I just picked up a new unmarked .308 Garand barrel for my BM-59 project. I was trying to check the BM-59 forum but couldn't access it without the 5 posts (as I just saw in the post earlier) so I didn't know where to ask. This one is short chambered and was told that it measures 23-3/4" from the beginning of the breech to the end of the barrel. I can add a photo of it (and my kit) when it gets here on Tuesday, butI was wondering if the length sounds like the correct length for a BM-59 kit with the grenade launcher and tri-compensator fixed-stock version?

Junior Cadet
    On the question of barrels for a BM-59, I recently picked up a .308 Garand barrel that is unmarked. But the chamber holds a .308 round instead of a .30-06, and while the front of the barrel lets the tri-comp, the greanade launcher gas system, etc. fit on it, with that done and the bipod legs folded to match their spots on the BM-59 stock, the chamber of the barrel sits about where the heel of a receiver normally would. Am I correct in presuming that this barrel would be a good candidate for Tim's barrel conversion service, assuming I can EVER find a Springfield M1 Garand receiver for sale at less than the price of buying an entire rifle just to harvest the receiver off of it? I am trying to figure out if this build is even doable at this point, what with Garand receivers becoming unobtainium over the last couple of years. I can add pictures if needed but the description above pretty much tells the story and I could find NO markings on the barrel whatsoever to photograph.