Thread: WW2 Gov't Colt

WW2 Gov't Colt

Gents,

Looking for some sage advice. I know not much about issued 1911's.

My dad emailed me today and said the local gun store just took a Colt 1911A1 in on a cash buy. My dad and the owner are friends, so he called my dad to see if he wanted it. I don't know much about it at the moment, but it's supposed to be a 2 million serial number, which would make it on the last production run in 1945 according to some websites.

Over the phone, the store owner told my dad that it's an original gun. I'm guessing he means correct, considering nothing is really original. Says it has some holster wear, but otherwise in excellent condition.

My dad will drive over and look tonight if I'm serious enough, but it's a big purchase and I'm trying to get some opinions before I decide.

Is there a good price for a model like this one, assuming that it's correct and in good shape?

I'll post the price if you want to know, but curious what you guys' opinion is regardless of what the store owner wants. He wants to turn it over quick, but he's also considering putting it on gunbroker for more than he offered to my dad.

Thanks
    Josh
    Josh
    M1CC #628
    GySgt/USMC
    6116/0931

Well, as it turns out, it was a Remington Rand frame and a Colt slide. Field stripping showed what appeared to be most of the correct parts, but I didn't want to buy something that wasn't at least a matching frame and slide. He was asking $1100. Deals that are too good to be true usually are.
    Josh
    M1CC #628
    GySgt/USMC
    6116/0931

Yup, sound to pricey
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Patriot
    It seems Like we had a lot of Colt slides for rebuilds and the only other slides we had were those that were still usable from other rebuilds. And at this time I now run into more Remington slides then I do Colt. But to restore it the price is to high for me. One curious thing was the number of Singer and SA slides that were available for this but we rarely saw the whole pistol. So don't be surprised if you run into these on rebuilds. Colt and Remington frames with those slides were quite common.
    Mix

I figured it was a rebuild of some sort, since I didn't see serialized slides in any of the websites I checked after the 30's.

I agree with you, what he was asking was too much for what it was. It would take too much money to do something collectible with and I wouldn't buy it to shoot it a bunch.
    Josh
    M1CC #628
    GySgt/USMC
    6116/0931

War Room Ready
    I recently picked up a 1944 Colt that appears original but has an HS replacement barrel. Excellent finish with minor wear, it was also a local gunshop find for $1100.