Thread: 1903A3 ‘Tanker’ kit question

Cadet

1903A3 ‘Tanker’ kit question

Greetings fellows, I’m curious if anyone has any information on converting a 1903A3 into a shorter ‘Tanker’ style. I have a couple of good sporter barrels that I’d like to use up, one of them being 35 Whelen, my go to round. I think I remember someone offering a kit to do so? Also, does anyone know of any maker of laminated military style stocks for the A3? (Non sporter style) Any information or advise is appreciated. Note: This build will be based on a nasty drill rifle that will spend several hours in my shop being reactivated. I’m just using up some old parts that I’ve accumulated. Thanks, Don

I believe you're looking for what was called a Bushmaster, but I don't know much else.

Eli

Cadet
    Thank you much, I’ll look into it.

Here is a little info on the bushmaster. I know they existed as my uncle had told me about them years ago. He used them training in jungle warfare in Panama. Anyway, it looks like they were based on 1903's but maybe some were done on A3's?
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Cadet
    I bought a damaged scant stock from Numrich with the intent of cutting it back. The stock they sent was a bit dusty, but otherwise in great shape. It’s now going on my 03A4 clone. As soon as they go on sale again I’ll try another and hope for one with tip damage. The stock on my drill rifle was totally splintered with big chunks missing, not repairable. When I reactivate one of these old drill rifles, I leave an obvious trail so that someone someday can’t mistake it for an authentic. Stevie Wonder would be able to tell these apart.
    Last edited by DeltaTango; 03-03-2019 at 06:43 PM.

Junior Cadet

1903A3 ‘Tanker’ kit question

That was kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, thanks Monty. With the altitude I ride at it may be wise to install the kit after it is good and broke in. I just need to get a few more bills payed off and look out

In case you have just about any queries concerning where and how you can utilize How do I delete my Play Store history , you'll be able to e-mail us at our own site

Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by KamRent View Post
    That was kind of along the lines of what I was thinking, thanks Monty. With the altitude I ride at it may be wise to install the kit after it is good and broke in. I just need to get a few more bills payed off and look out

In case you have just about any queries concerning where and how you can utilize How do I delete my Play Store history , you'll be able to e-mail us at our own site
    LOL, I’ll have what he’s drinking.

Junior Cadet
    Reese had about the last of the Bushmaster stocks, and I mean the National Ordnance type 1903 based, looked like a cut down carbine version of the real deal.

A lot of times people will sell them off as being Sporter stocks on GB/EB 1903 Sporter stock. But you'll see they are military look, not sporter look.

If I see one I will pm you, if my account is ever activated. I'm not sure what I need to do to be activated.

I've got a 1903A4 action that came from a drill rifle. The bolt is still good, the receiver is good. The barrel was welded at the front, the trigger housing is ruined. Stock is split to toothpicks.

Junior Cadet
    You're looking for a Trooper or Bushmaster stock, Trooper stock as sold by Fed Ordnance and GSA.

They salvaged some 1903 stocks and also had some partial sporter stocks for 1903's and released them like you are describing.

Another company in the wilderness years had salvaged some and cut down the barrel and they got boat paddle condition stocks. They welded some barrels back together, some they turned the barrel down some(it's not welded, but they did such a rough job stopping the tool there is a mark 360deg around the barrel) and there is the possibility that's the Bushmaster. It may have been a company in FL or the predecessor to CAI. Memory failing stinks.