Thread: 308 Spacer Block preference for Garand build

Cadet

308 Spacer Block preference for Garand build

I realize that I don’t need a spacer block for the rifle to safely function, but I’m going to use one anyway. This rifle will be passed down to my son and his sons, so it is getting everything available that is safety related. I can always take it out if I don’t like it. My question is, which one is preferable? I’ve ruled out plastic, have found Italian steel and modern aluminum. Were there ever any USGI steel spacers? If so, does anyone have a source? I see steel ones on several of the normal suppliers websites, just curious if they are all the same.

While I have no hands-on experience, my understanding is the USGI were plastic and the steel Italian ones require a relief in the stock. Can anybody say for sure?

Eli

The originals were white plastic, Italian made and commercial are steel. I can not recommend one over the other because IMO they are not a safety item and are not needed. I suppose one will work as good as another since they serve no real good purpose. If I were to buy one I would find the vendor with the cheapest price
    Here is a original Navy Garand stock with cut outs for the spacer
    Last edited by Orlando; 03-24-2019 at 07:00 PM.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Cadet
    I’m not going to hunt for one very hard, as I really don’t need it at this point. I’ll just see if I stumble across one. Thanks for the replies.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I read an article somewhere,at sometime,that stated the steel blocks were wearing out parts over time for one reason or another?I didn't use one in mine,but given a choice between steel or aluminum,I'd pick the latter.

ps,sorry that I can't name source,maybe GCA journal??
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Junior Cadet
    The Italian ones do not require a relief cut in the stock, they are slightly narrower than the width of the bullet guide.

Cadet
    Okay, thanks guys. I’ve scratched that itch with the help from a fellow over on the CMP forum. It ended up being an aluminum spacer. It’s a Strobel. Does anyone know anything about it or have any experience with it? It has been discontinued, maybe there is a reason? Doesn’t much matter, It was cheap.BBBDF77E-FAE7-4D3E-BADF-8C2613B734A4.jpg775C256F-8AC0-44C7-ACF4-7A19E41F0612.jpgu
    Last edited by DeltaTango; 04-28-2019 at 08:34 AM.