Thread: Shipping Question

Junior Cadet

Shipping Question

Gentleman, can someone pls point me to info on how to properly package an M1 and what shipping service to use to ship my rifle to Tim ? Any verbiage to use when dealing with the shipper ??

TIA.

Send it usps priority mail, properly insured. No mention on the box of firearms or fragile as this will just encourage the thieving postal service employees to liberate or manhandle your items. Brown cardboard shipping box with plenty of padding. Make sure you pad the heck out of the ends of the box and secure with about a pound of tape as the postal employees like to drop boxes from high places onto the ends to see if they can get the contents to shoot out like a torpedo. No peanuts as Tim hates them. Check your tracking and when it says "Delivered" it probably was. If you call Tim to confirm it makes him have to stop what he is doing and delays the whole process.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Best way to ship is in a cheap plastic foam lined gun case in a cardbard box.
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

I’ll let Tim offer his insight as to how he wants things shipped. Personally, the old CMP shipping boxes rock. I just had a guy send me a Remington 1917 via Shipmygun.com. It was a little wonky waiting for my FFL to be approved and the label generated, but the seller claimed he saved a substantial sum over UPS. I understand that it’s discounted shipping through Buds Gun Shop.
    "I have absolutely no idea why you would trust something as important as your life to the people on this forum." Fogtripper 1-6-10

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I too love the old shipping boxes that CMP used.I ship through usps,but that's all I have in my small town.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

I threw mine in a Pelican 1700 case after taking the barreled receiver off from the stock. Shipped via UPS with locks on it and then just emailed Tim the code for the locks.
    The Maxims ....
    14. "Mad Science" means never stopping to ask "what's the worst thing that could happen?"*
    34. If you’re leaving scorch-marks, you need a bigger gun.
    37. There is no 'overkill.' There is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'

I used the CMP case that I tye-wrapped shut, then sheathed in cardboard. I enclosed extra tye-wraps for the return journey, Tim put them on. I also put in some extra foam at the bbl end so the rifle wouldn't slide around and punch a hole in the CMP case - apparently that can happen with the newest (tan) batch of cases. In any event, it got there and got back just fine and the cardboard sheath kept the case pristine.

Shipped by USPS per Tim's recommendation (legal for long guns ONLY).
    Last edited by Zorba; 04-18-2019 at 06:56 AM.
    -Zorba
    "The Veiled Male"

Hidden camera film of postal "workers" at "work"

Last edited by Punch The Clown; 04-18-2019 at 08:01 AM.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau