Thread: Barrel Identification

Barrel Identification

All - What insight can you give me into this barrel?

https://i.imgur.com/fBRmTyI.jpg

I know it's a 7.62 NATO of course, and that DGR used it on this build. Beyond that, what are the other markings?

Thanks,

JGW

Dean's Gun Restorations (DGR), barrel manufactured October 2008 as a .308 caliber, I know their current barrels are made by Criterion, believe this is as well. If I recall correctly, the "SPL" indicates "special", as in not 30-06, but I can't remember what the "NGP" was for. I also suspect that that barrel was manufactured as a .308, but was finish reamed to 7.62 by DGR and remarked (hence the X-outs). Again a suspicion, manufactured in 2008 as a .308 barrel, and chamber reamed by DGR in 2010 to 7.62 case spec. and remarked accordingly.
    Last edited by MikesRJ; 04-01-2019 at 09:39 AM.

Thank you.

JGW

Quote Originally Posted by MikesRJ View Post
    Dean's Gun Restorations (DGR), barrel manufactured October 2008 as a .308 caliber, I know their current barrels are made by Criterion, believe this is as well. If I recall correctly, the "SPL" indicates "special", as in not 30-06, but I can't remember what the "NGP" was for. I also suspect that that barrel was manufactured as a .308, but was finish reamed to 7.62 by DGR and remarked (hence the X-outs). Again a suspicion, manufactured in 2008 as a .308 barrel, and chamber reamed by DGR in 2010 to 7.62 case spec. and remarked accordingly.