Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Golden state Arms Santa Fe Division M1 Rifle

Quote Originally Posted by garandguy10 View Post
    Hi all, I have a Golden state Arms Santa Fe Division M1 Rifle. What do you guys know about these?
    Before someone says it is a welded up receiver, it is not.
    Does yours have the markings as shown and is it in cal .30 M1 or 7.62NATO?

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by blfuller View Post
    Does yours have the markings as shown and is it in cal .30 M1 or 7.62NATO?
    The photos you see in this thread are my rifle. It is chambered in Caliber .30 M1 as stamped on the receiver heel.
    Last edited by garandguy10; 09-28-2019 at 01:41 AM.

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by timshufflin View Post
    I cannot post any pictures like that. I’ve only been into this for perhaps 15 years and they seem to be fairly common. I just haven’t given them any more time than I would a CAI. Maybe I’ve just been lucky seeing them.
    I think we are talking about different rifles. My rifle is nothing like a CAI or Lithgow cast receiver M1 rifle, nor does it have a welded (re-welded) receiver.

My rifle is a Golden State Arms Corporation Santa Fe Division Cal .30 M1 Garand clone, chambered in Caliber .30 M1 with a forged, not welded (re-welded) receiver manufactured by Beretta for Santa Fe Division as stamped on the left side of the receiver. My rifle feeds from M1 8 round clips. I have never seen another like it. I have no idea how many were made, but I suspect it was not many.

I suspect you may also be thinking about the Golden State Arms/Santa Fe (and others) BM59 style rifles that accept a BM59 or M14 magazine that are chambered in .308 (7.62x51) Most of those rifles are made from welded (re-welded) USGI receivers with the heel markings ground off and the manufacturer/model and caliber information stamped on the left side of the receiver.

I have seen quite a few of the welded receiver BM59 clones, and many years ago I held in my hands a Golden State Arms Santa Fe Division BM59 with a forged non welded Beretta made receiver with receiver heel markings similar to my receiver, that receiver had left side receiver markings identical to my rifle.

When did Beretta stop making M1 receivers?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by garandguy10; 09-28-2019 at 02:31 AM.

The photos you see in this thread are my rifle. It is chambered in Caliber .30 M1 as stamped on the receiver heel.
    Since the pics were posted by others I didn't think it was yours. Are all the parts marked like the USGI parts with PB (Pietro Beretta) instead of the SA, WRA, HRA, IHC?

Very nice rifle though, definitely a keeper.

There's a little snippit over on the M14 forum that mentions the Santa Fe M1 but is mostly about the BM59.

I think we are talking about different rifles. My rifle is nothing like a CAI or Lithgow cast receiver M1 rifle, nor does it have a welded (re-welded) receiver.

My rifle is a Golden State Arms Corporation Santa Fe Division Cal .30 M1 Garand clone, chambered in Caliber .30 M1 with a forged, not welded (re-welded) receiver manufactured by Beretta for Santa Fe Division as stamped on the left side of the receiver. My rifle feeds from M1 8 round clips. I have never seen another like it. I have no idea how many were made, but I suspect it was not many.

I suspect you may also be thinking about the Golden State Arms/Santa Fe (and others) BM59 style rifles that accept a BM59 or M14 magazine that are chambered in .308 (7.62x51) Most of those rifles are made from welded (re-welded) USGI receivers with the heel markings ground off and the manufacturer/model and caliber information stamped on the left side of the receiver.

I have seen quite a few of the welded receiver BM59 clones, and many years ago I held in my hands a Golden State Arms Santa Fe Division BM59 with a forged non welded Beretta made receiver with receiver heel markings similar to my receiver, that receiver had left side receiver markings identical to my rifle.

When did Beretta stop making M1 receivers?

Nope, not thinking of something different. I just don’t think it’s as rare as you may believe. On really rare stuff I do note it in my mind and take pics. These have just never made my radar. You did want thoughts, you have mine. Nice receiver!

Junior Cadet
    Quote Originally Posted by blfuller View Post
    Since the pics were posted by others I didn't think it was yours. Are all the parts marked like the USGI parts with PB (Pietro Beretta) instead of the SA, WRA, HRA, IHC?

Very nice rifle though, definitely a keeper.

There's a little snippit over on the M14 forum that mentions the Santa Fe M1 but is mostly about the BM59.
    All parts except receiver are USGI.

Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Nice heel stamp

What's the effect around the markings? Maybe a pixelated effect to the image affecting the area around the markings?

Quote Originally Posted by ordmm View Post
    What's the effect around the markings? Maybe a pixelated effect to the image affecting the area around the markings?
    I over-enlarged it. The original is very sharp.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Junior Cadet
    I used an old digital camera for the pics.

Junior Cadet
    Thanks for sharing. Any other pictures you'd take of the mag well and barrel would be greatly appreciated, also your muzzle device.

Some idle thoughts about Mr. Arnold his ventures in firearms manufacture:

Golden State which was already or became National Ordnance and then merged with Brenner's Federal Ordnance(coincidentally in the same building in South El Monte).

Some of Arnold's were based on the 59E/SL but had hand-guards missing from the very front. He did a straight BM-59 Ital type. He also did one that had a long M14 style flash hider, except it had been, what is the word I am looking for..... turned with a taper attachment. Oddly, he did that same type flash hider, except cut it out and i was three prong like M16A1.

I'd say 70% performed from the factor with reasonable satisfaction, however given wear, tear, and the DPO(dreaded previous owners)- I think maybe 33-40% are out there and functional. So 33%-40% of the original 70% functional- 28% still intact and usable.

Arnold was also bad to use a 1903 barrel welded to a Garand barrel. Remarkable some of those will shoot acceptably- I mean they go bang with no drama, kill a target at 100yds. After that, fling rounds willy nilly.

Thanks for sharing.