Thread: Whats your M1 Garand front sight blade width?

Question Whats your M1 Garand front sight blade width?

I started reading old copies of American Rifleman reprints bought off of ebay. Got the M1 Garand one from 1961, man the cool info. Found out the standard for an as issued, USGI front sight blade width is .084" and that is a seriously wide front sight. I verified it several other places and found out the old Springfield Armory standard was indeed .084" minus up to .010" for factory manufacturing tolerances.

Made sense to me as in the rifle clinics Ive attended it was hammered into my head "you want a WIDE front sight," with .072" being the width you want for NMAR15A2.

I also found out the USGI standard for the M14 is exactly the same. M14 front sight blade width is .084" with the same minus .010" for factory tolerances.

I got my L.S. Starrett digital calipers out and measured my CMP Special blade width. Came out to .072" which kinda let me down a tad. Now Im on a quest to get a proper width M1 Garand front sight with the proper as issued, USGI blade width. Easier to focus your eyeball on because its a hair wider.

Have you ever measured your M1 Garand front sight blade width? Not talking about National Match M1 Garands, which are .062" wide. Im talking plain old, as issued, USGI or Marine Corps issued M1 Garands.

Tyrone
    All M1 Garand rifles coming into the CMP's possession for resale, should be sold only to buyers who have shot an M1 Garand at a registered M1 match once a year. M1 Garand sales to non shooters should cease completely and immediately. If you want to buy M1s, you should be REQUIRED to shoot minimum one formal match per year, every year.

RT40 (banned permanently) from the CMP forum

The front sight blade width on both of my M1 Garands is .084".
    There are three kinds of men. The one learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves. Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by 7 Ring View Post
    The front sight blade width on both of my M1 Garands is .084".
    I guess I got an aftermarket front sight on my M1 special. .072" is not narrow, but its not USGI as issued wide either.

Wish I could find someone who had a M1 front sight in good condition where the blade width was say, .080" to .084"

Should have bought from that other rack that day, when the CMP had a huge rack of service grade specials at the South store. Leon tried to point me in that direction that day but I was enamored with the CMP M1 Special, new barrel and all and I was a newbie.

Tyrone
    All M1 Garand rifles coming into the CMP's possession for resale, should be sold only to buyers who have shot an M1 Garand at a registered M1 match once a year. M1 Garand sales to non shooters should cease completely and immediately. If you want to buy M1s, you should be REQUIRED to shoot minimum one formal match per year, every year.

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    I went through 25 of mine off of demilled gas cylinders,and most were .077,and a couple .072.Some of these are in excellent condition,and are this width.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Ryan, snowed in?
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Humperdink View Post
    I went through 25 of mine off of demilled gas cylinders,and most were .077,and a couple .072.Some of these are in excellent condition,and are this width.
    so you saying you have one or two thats is .084 to .080" blade width? Preferably .082" to .084"??

Respectfully,

Tyrone

Quote Originally Posted by MrTwistedFock View Post
    so you saying you have one or two thats is .084 to .080" blade width? Preferably .082" to .084"??

Respectfully,

Tyrone
    I found 1 in the group that was .080
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Prince Humperdink; 10-11-2019 at 12:02 PM.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

Quote Originally Posted by Punch The Clown View Post
    Ryan, snowed in?
    Stu,nope,got several inches on wednesday,but it was gone yesterday and I had the M1C at the range!

Wow, Ryan is a stand up guy!!! Thanks man!!! Im floored and I appreciate it. So generous and so straight up, thats character dude.

Sincerely,

Tyrone