Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: M1 Carbine Shoots to Right

M1 Carbine Shoots to Right

I have a real nice Inland non import M1 Carbine that shoots to the right, I have the rear sight drifted in the dovetail to the left and the aperture to left to help correct the issue
    Barrel bore has strong rifling, low muzzle wear, crown is not dinged, good stock fit. I checked barrel timing with digital levels and is only off a half degree
    From reading it sounds as though this is a common issue on carbines, have you run across this on other carbines you have worked on? Is there a fix? If so I will send it in .
    Thanks
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

"Official 2010 Mini-G & 2011 Summer Postal Shoot Biggest Looser"

Founding Member Prince Humperdink's Avatar
    Bill,could the barrel have a slight bend? I had a neighbor that told me they were ordered to bend the barrels while on the rifle(said they easily bent),and toss them in a pile.I know bent barrels can still function,and are never detected on battle rifles.
    "The advantage of being armed, which the Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation ... forms a barrier against the enterprises of ambition, more insurmountable than any which a simple government of any form can admit of." -- James Madison (1788)

I suppose its possible, just wnt it fixed if possible. Its a real nice carbine other than this issue
    I was thinking of selling it but cant sell it as is
    "I am the master of my unspoken words, and a slave to those that should have remained unspoken. ...

Is the witness mark on the bottom of the barrel lined up with the mark on the face of the receiver ?
    If so, the odds are good that the barrel is slightly bent. Two of my carbines have the rear sight set to the left of center too,
    but not as bad as yours.
    John

Don't worry if plan "A" fails, there are still 25 other letters in the alphabet.

Looking for S/A bayonets s/n 922033 & 1045220

Proud Member of M1CC #112

War Room Ready
    Too bad an aftermarket adjustable front sight isn't available. Would it ever be practical to install a sight post over a little and then re-center the rear aperture?
    Possibly broach the slot a bit to let it tip the slightest fraction?
    Not original, I know, but it'd shoot straight.

So Sorry- didn't see this was in "ask Shuff"
    Last edited by Bob W; 10-20-2019 at 07:07 PM.

the witness marks are just ballpark, I used digital levels to check for index

Bill, I would try the clean bore , put a de-primed case in the chamber, and look through the muzzle at a light source. The rings that will show up in the barrel should be concentric. If not, the barrel has a bend in it. An arbor press and 2 "V" blocks would easily straighten it. Trial and error of course.
    When dealing with liberals, always attribute to malice what would ordinarily be attributed to incompetence.

"Of course it won't be easy; nothing worthwhile ever is. That is why I have always failed where others have succeeded."-Clouseau

Thanks guys

Heck yes I’ve seen it. Start turning the barrel off the marks and guess what the new problem is?

Right , headspace. So since its shooting to the right I'm screwed